Wireless info

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Warwick, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    Hi,
    I need guidance on setting up wireless networks, and everything I have
    found on the subject so far tells me nothing, in a thousand words or more.

    I have a laptop with an Atheros card. The Atheros Client Utility looks like
    shit to me. There is no way of setting your IP - without using windows
    tcp/ip properties. If you do that, and tick the box that says 'let windows
    manage my connection' then Atheros spits the dummy about it controlling the
    network card and not windows. No options here, it just unticks the box no
    matter what - however it has now picked up the IP and things will work.
    Untill reboot then do it all again.

    The desktop has a DLink card - no worries with that.

    When I bought the DLink I managed to set up an ad hoc network no probs, but
    fucked if I can do it tonight. I uninstalled the Atheros utility and used
    windows to set up my wireless network. But guess what? Windows cannot set
    up a wireless network without either a printer or a flash drive, and I have
    neither. That is plain fucking stupid (Why can't I write the fucking key
    down for christs sakes?). I suppose I could print to file but I gave up on
    the 801.BS and have cat5 trailed all around my new flat instead.

    When it was running - ping would not work. Is that normal?

    Does a firewall exist, that manages outbound traffic, that can handle an
    ehternet network, a wireless network and a dial up connection all at once?

    Sorry for the rantish nature of this - sometimes MS winds me up somethin
    shocking. ('I want to learn about wireless networking', what a joke of a
    help page that is).

    cheers
    Warwick, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Warwick

    Toxickiwi Guest

    Have you installed SP2 yet?
    Toxickiwi, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Warwick wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I need guidance on setting up wireless networks, and everything I have
    > found on the subject so far tells me nothing, in a thousand words or more.
    >

    > I have a laptop with an Atheros card. The Atheros Client Utility looks like
    > shit to me. There is no way of setting your IP - without using windows
    > tcp/ip properties. If you do that, and tick the box that says 'let windows
    > manage my connection' then Atheros spits the dummy about it controlling the
    > network card and not windows. No options here, it just unticks the box no
    > matter what - however it has now picked up the IP and things will work.
    > Untill reboot then do it all again.
    >
    > The desktop has a DLink card - no worries with that.
    >

    > When I bought the DLink I managed to set up an ad hoc network no probs, but
    > fucked if I can do it tonight. I uninstalled the Atheros utility and used
    > windows to set up my wireless network. But guess what? Windows cannot set
    > up a wireless network without either a printer or a flash drive, and I have
    > neither. That is plain fucking stupid (Why can't I write the fucking key
    > down for christs sakes?). I suppose I could print to file but I gave up on
    > the 801.BS and have cat5 trailed all around my new flat instead.
    >

    > When it was running - ping would not work. Is that normal?
    >

    > Does a firewall exist, that manages outbound traffic, that can handle an
    > ehternet network, a wireless network and a dial up connection all at once?
    >
    > Sorry for the rantish nature of this - sometimes MS winds me up somethin
    > shocking. ('I want to learn about wireless networking', what a joke of a
    > help page that is).

    Setup it up manually instead of running that wizard...
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 29, 2004