    PC #3 Ethernet ---------- c
    IP telephone ------------ h

    Thanks, Rob.
    Rob Nicholson, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Rob Nicholson

    Jeff Durham Guest

    I think you are referring to a bridge. It allows you to "bridge" two wired networks together via wireless.

    Jeff
    "Rob Nicholson" <> wrote in message news:...
    I'm familiar with a wireless access point which plugs into the LAN and allows wireless devices to connect to the network.

    But what's the name of the device which operates like a hub/switch (say eight port) which sits on the desk, into which (legacy) wired Ethernet devices are plugged but then connects to the LAN via wireless to another access point?

    Sort of like this:

    PC #1 Ethernet ---------- S
    IP telephone ------------ w
    PC #2 Ethernet ---------- i Wireless ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Access Point ----- LAN
    IP telephone ------------ t
    PC #3 Ethernet ---------- c
    IP telephone ------------ h

    Thanks, Rob.
    Jeff Durham, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Rob Nicholson

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    This device is called Access Point configured in Bridge Mode.

    Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Sep 22, 2004
  4. >This device is called Access Point configured in Bridge Mode.

    Thanks - I knew there would be the correct term. Didn't want to appear thick
    when asking vendors about prices :)

    Cheers, Rob.
    Rob Nicholson, Sep 23, 2004