    correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now all I
    want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I start?
    Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome please.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=, Jan 24, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=

    Dave Guest

    what you are saying doesn't make sense... try again.

    did you install a wireless router connected to your adsl line directly? or
    does the adsl line go into your desktop and then you have a nic that
    connects to the router and you are using ics to share the dsl line??

    now, what do you mean that nothing wants to delete?? what are you trying to
    delete? and what are you trying to unscramble??

    3
    > computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to

    network

    Dave, Jan 24, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Hi

    The Linksys Router has to be connected to the Internet modem through the WAN
    port.

    Each Wired computer should be plugged with a CAT5e into a regular port on
    the Router.

    The Wireless has to be configured between the Laptop and the Router.

    The whole thing should look like this:
    http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    Then Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows
    Network Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    Concerning the Wireless aspect.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.....got u confused 2 ! connected wireless
    router directly to adsl line. laptops then using wireless notebook adaptor to
    access internet via same wireless router. Difficult to explain but everything
    on desktop pc to do with networking is virtually inoperable or painfully slow
    to respond. One of my laptops was so bad I've just re-formatted the harddisk
    and reinstalled everything including XP pro to start again. That's now
    working properly but my "host" desktop is the problem. I just want to start
    from the beginning again with the desktop by removing all configurations,
    etc., involving networks, workgroups, and the rest but it just will not let
    me! I bet you're really confused now! Sorry

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=, Jan 24, 2005
  5. Thanks Jack, I'll follow the leads you've thrown me and see if it clears the
    mist!
    I'm a bit lost on your terminology concerning connections through the WAN
    port and a CAT5e has me mystified. Sorry but thanks all the same. Maybe you
    could enlighten me if you get a spare minute.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Why are you using a desktop as a "HOST"??? Are you running it as some sort
    of server?

    The router itself connected into your DSL modem will rout all your
    connections to make a network. Is the desktop connected into the router via
    ethernet cable? or does it have a wireless adapter also? Your desktop really
    has nothing to do with your laptops connecting to the internet via the
    roter.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 24, 2005
  7. Hi Robert, thanks for your interest...Yes, I'm using the desktop as a server
    "Host" and it is connected to my router via ethernet cable. I know the
    desktop has no influence on my client laptops connecting to the internet but
    my problem no lies in trying to undo certain networking configurations I
    previously set up on my desktop. I have an errant workgroup I want to get rid
    of but it simply refuses to be deleted, amended, etc. Makes no sense I know
    but something is restricting what I thought would be a simple process. I have
    administrator privaledges so that's not the problem. The desktop is now
    running very slowly and occassionally applications are freezing which has
    never happened before......and of course, I still cannot simply network the
    laptops to it to access various files as I intended (they are checked for
    sharing). I just need to roll time back to when I began and start from
    scratch.....but I can't!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=, Jan 25, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Since I do not know how you connected your system I wanted to make sure that
    it is connected correctly.

    The Internet Modem has to be connected to one specific port on the Router
    this port is called in general the WAN port look at you Router manual to ID
    it if it has another name.

    CAT5e is the formal name of the Network Cables.

    If all of your computers are connected Wirelessly to your Router you should
    make an arrangement to connect at least one computer with a cable (Not
    Wirelessly) to the Router. You might need to configure that Router and if
    the Wireless connection does not work you can not configure the Router.
    Connecting a computer to the Router with a cable would provide you with
    access to the Router in order to set the correct initial configuration.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 25, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=

    Mags Guest

    Hi Phil,

    You might try going in to control panel -> system ->
    hardware devices, finding the LAN adapter, uninstall it,
    then reboot and allow windows to re-find and install with
    from scratch.

    next step is to get back into control panel -> system ->
    general and go through the change computer name/workgroup
    but re-do it to the same computer and workgroup name.

    This should overwrite all previous network settings and
    give you a fresh start. I have provided the above from
    memory and may not be 100% correct with names/locations
    but it should be close to the mark.

    You may also wish to do this with the LAN/Router cable
    disconnected from the back of your PC for a few mins to
    see if the slowness problem disappears. If not, you
    probably have a second problem to contend with.

    Good luck.

    Mags

    message

    >> > Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.....got u confused

    2 ! connected
    >> > wireless
    >> > router directly to adsl line. laptops then using

    wireless notebook adaptor
    >> > access internet via same wireless router. Difficult

    to explain but
    >> > everything
    >> > on desktop pc to do with networking is virtually

    inoperable or painfully
    >> > slow
    >> > to respond. One of my laptops was so bad I've just re-

    formatted the
    >> > harddisk
    >> > and reinstalled everything including XP pro to start

    again. That's now
    >> > working properly but my "host" desktop is the

    problem. I just want to
    >> > start
    >> > from the beginning again with the desktop by removing

    all configurations,
    >> > etc., involving networks, workgroups, and the rest

    but it just will not
    >> > let
    >> > me! I bet you're really confused now! Sorry

    adsl line directly?

    have a nic that

    share the dsl line??

    delete?? what are you trying

    message

    Mags, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Ok, lets see if i have this correct.
    1. you have your DSL modem connected to a wireless router.
    2. your desktop is connected to the router via ethernet cable
    3. your laptops are connected to the router via a wireless connection
    4. you want to share Internet between the 3 computers
    5. you want to network the 3 computers together in order to share files and
    maybe print services.

    Is this all correct?

    Also, why are you using your desktop as a Server? Are you hosting an FTP
    file server or a web site?

    Are all 3 computers running XP SP2? Are they all on the same workgroup? Do
    they all have unique computer names?

    Are you running any firewall software? Special Server software? Proxies?
    anything at all that is trying to use your network to do something?

    What type of router do you have? (Maker and model#)

    Ill be awaiting this info.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 25, 2005
  11. Thanks Mags.....I'll give it a try....I'll post success if and when, if you
    know what I mean.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=, Jan 25, 2005
  12. Jack, Robert Jacobs, Dave, Mags....A big thank you for help and
    expertise...I'm sorted! Now the truth and you won't like this after all your
    help. I left my Norton Firewall active on the desktop (host) pc without
    configuring it to allow the IP addresses of the laptops access. Consequently,
    I spent hours tweaking this and that until I created the resultant mayhem on
    all three computers. With the resultant info you guys sent me I am now
    Southern Spain's leading home-network expert.
    Sorry for being so stupid. I clicked onto the problem via one of the links
    that Jack put me onto. My face changed to the same deep colour as my ethernet
    cable that connects my desktop to the wireless router.
    Many, many thanks
    Phil.
    What a great forum. I can't believe the expertise out there.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbC5U?=, Jan 26, 2005
  13. Glad your up and running.....

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 26, 2005