    office". The desktop has found the laptop but is unable to access it. The
    laptop doesn't seem to know that the desktop is even there. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z29vZGVyeg==?=, Nov 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z29vZGVyeg==?=

    Jim Guest

    "gooderz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi everyone. I hope you can help me because I am at a loss. I have a Dell
    > Dimension running XP home and an Acer laptop running XP Media Centre. I
    > have
    > recently bought a Linksys wireless router and have had no trouble setting
    > it
    > up so the desktop and laptop can both use the internet at the same time.
    > Getting to the point, I know you can transfer files between the machines
    > but
    > I am unable to do this. I have run the "Set up or change your home or
    > small
    > office network" wizard and the "Set up a wireless network for a home or
    > small
    > office". The desktop has found the laptop but is unable to access it. The
    > laptop doesn't seem to know that the desktop is even there. Any help would
    > be
    > greatly appreciated.

    The Wireless Network Wizard doesn't do much for file and printer sharing.
    Have you followed the instructions in "file and printer sharing" in Help &
    Support? If you haven't, then that is a reason that you can't share files
    and folders.

    Can you ping one computer from the other?

    If ping doesn't work, then the firewalls are blocking ICMP packets. In this
    instance, what you have are misconfigured firewalls. The Network Setup
    Wizard takes care of Windows Firewall, but it does not touch any other one.
    You also will not be able to share files or printers if ICMP packets are
    blocked.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Hi
    If the two commuters are using the Internet you have already a Home Network.
    If you want to share files between the Networked computers you have to
    configure the Network's Sharing setting on each Networked computer.
    This process is the same for wired or and wireless connection
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared,
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 27, 2006