Wireless Home Networking

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Stokes, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    Quite a bit of detail needed to describe this but I'll try and be as concise
    as possible.

    I'm running a Packard Bell iMedia desktop machine and a Hewlett Packard
    Pavilion Laptop. Both machines are runnin Windows ME and both are connected
    to Linksys 4-port Wireless Access Point Router. Desktop PC connected
    directly via cable, Laptop connected via linksys wireless PCMCIA card.

    THe wireless connection seems to be working fine, I can access
    internet/emails from either machine without the other switched on. The
    problem comes when I want to share files between the 2 computers and if I
    want to print files on the printer connected to the desktop PC from my
    Laptop. (Still with me...?)

    I ran Home Networking Wizard on both machines, both given unique names but
    both using the default (MSHOME) network name. When I open My Network Places
    i cannot find either machine. They are simply not there. Network trouble
    shooting did not help and renaming each machine didn't.

    The only icons available are Add Network Place, Home Networking Wizard and
    Entire Network. When i open the last one, i am simply left with a blank
    window.

    Any advice is much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read
    all of this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

    Paul Stokes, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Paul Stokes

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:02:27 +0100, "Paul Stokes"
    <paul.stokes@DELETE_THIS_BITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Quite a bit of detail needed to describe this but I'll try and be as concise
    >as possible.
    >
    >I'm running a Packard Bell iMedia desktop machine and a Hewlett Packard
    >Pavilion Laptop. Both machines are runnin Windows ME and both are connected
    >to Linksys 4-port Wireless Access Point Router. Desktop PC connected
    >directly via cable, Laptop connected via linksys wireless PCMCIA card.
    >
    >THe wireless connection seems to be working fine, I can access
    >internet/emails from either machine without the other switched on. The
    >problem comes when I want to share files between the 2 computers and if I
    >want to print files on the printer connected to the desktop PC from my
    >Laptop. (Still with me...?)
    >
    >I ran Home Networking Wizard on both machines, both given unique names but
    >both using the default (MSHOME) network name. When I open My Network Places
    >i cannot find either machine. They are simply not there. Network trouble
    >shooting did not help and renaming each machine didn't.
    >
    >The only icons available are Add Network Place, Home Networking Wizard and
    >Entire Network. When i open the last one, i am simply left with a blank
    >window.
    >
    >Any advice is much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read
    >all of this.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Paul.

    See if you can ping one machine from the other.
    To do this, you'll need the target machine's IP address.
    At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and hit enter.
    The IP addresses should be within a few numbers of each other. The
    subnet mask and default gateway should be the same on both machines.

    Make sure there are no settings on the router which are blocking LAN
    functionality. Review your manual.

    Reset your router.

    Try changing the workgroup name to something else other than the
    default.

    Make sure file and print sharing is enabled.
    -
    Harrison
    Live on Skype:windowshelp
    WTF's Skype?
    www.skype.com

    Harrison, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    I can ping laptop from desktop but when i try to ping desktop IP address
    from laptop, i get 100% loss with each packet timing out

    Paul Stokes, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Paul Stokes

    Harrison Guest

    But you can access Internet via the laptop?
    Weird.
    To me, it almost has to be a setting on the router.
    Post back your router model number so I can find and review the
    manual.

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:32:55 +0100, "Paul Stokes"

    Harrison, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    Yeah can browse the web fine and i'm accessing this newsgroup via outlook
    express on the laptop. Router is Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point
    Router with 4-port switch

    Paul Stokes, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Paul Stokes

    Harrison Guest

    Post back with the ipconfig /all results of both machines.
    Clicking the DOS window in the upper left will give you a menu to mark
    and copy the results for easy pasting into a message.

    Something like this:
    My Desktop:
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WorkGroup
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C905TX-based
    Ethernet Adapter
    (Generic)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-60-97-9C-C4-42
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 20, 2003
    3:36:13 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038
    11:14:07 PM

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:30:23 +0100, "Paul Stokes"

    Harrison, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    Desktop machine results:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : BEDROOM.blueyonder.co.uk
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 62.31.64.39
    62.31.112.39
    62.31.144.39
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311/312 PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1E-BC-2E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 10 22 03 11:56:19
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 10 23 03 11:56:19

    1 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    Laptop Machine Results:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP.blueyonder.co.uk
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 62.31.64.39
    62.31.112.39
    62.31.144.39
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : Instant Wireless Network PC Card V3.0
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-06-25-2C-DD-73
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 10 22 03 11:52:40
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 10 23 03 11:52:40

    1 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : Accton EN1207F/EN2220A/EN2242 Series Fast
    Ethernet Adapter NDIS5 Driver
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-D0-59-90-0B-22
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Media Status. . . . . . . . : Disconnected
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

    2 Ethernet adapter :

    Paul Stokes, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Paul Stokes

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:03:37 +0100, Paul Stokes wrote:

    >Desktop machine results:
    >
    >Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . : BEDROOM.blueyonder.co.uk

    You should not be using blueyonder.co.uk, that domain belongs to BT/TW
    not you.

    Try something like,
    bedroom.myhouse.invalid

    <big snip>

    As you did with ipconfig, it won't hurt to check the output of
    'route print' as well, for each PC.

    If you have the option to connect the laptop, hardwired to discount any
    wireless configuration issues.

    Also don't forget about the BY self-help newsgroups as well.

    You mentioned the PC can ping the laptop, so can both PC/Laptop ping the
    router or if possible ping from the router to each.

    It might also be intersting to see the steps a tracert takes. It's not
    usually a lot of help for 1-2 hop home LANS. However it may show the
    Linksys LAN/Wireless sides.
    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/connected/trace.shtml

    >"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >> Post back with the ipconfig /all results of both machines.
    >> Clicking the DOS window in the upper left will give you a menu to mark
    >> and copy the results for easy pasting into a message.
    >>
    >> Something like this:
    >> My Desktop:
    >> Windows IP Configuration
    >>
    >> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
    >> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

    <big snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:03:37 +0100, Paul Stokes wrote:
    >
    > >Desktop machine results:
    > >
    > >Windows IP Configuration
    > >
    > > Host Name . . . . . . . . . : BEDROOM.blueyonder.co.uk

    > You should not be using blueyonder.co.uk, that domain belongs to BT/TW
    > not you.
    >
    > Try something like,
    > bedroom.myhouse.invalid

    How do I change it. I don't remember setting anything like this. During
    the Home Networking Wizard it asked for a name for the PC so i called it
    Bedroom but i have no idea where the blueyonder.co.uk came from.
    > <big snip>
    >
    > As you did with ipconfig, it won't hurt to check the output of
    > 'route print' as well, for each PC.
    >
    > If you have the option to connect the laptop, hardwired to discount any
    > wireless configuration issues.
    >
    > Also don't forget about the BY self-help newsgroups as well.
    >
    > You mentioned the PC can ping the laptop, so can both PC/Laptop ping the
    > router or if possible ping from the router to each.

    I don't know how to go about this - how do i find out ther router's IP
    address?

    Paul Stokes, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Paul Stokes

    Harrison Guest

    Paul,
    I've been tied up all day and have appointments the rest of today as
    well (US). It's disgustingly easy money and I can't turn it down :)

    why? seems to have a good grasp of what's going on and you should
    follow his suggestions.
    I'll get back and watch the posts when I can.
    Harrison.

    PS: Thanks for stepping in, why?

    Harrison, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Paul Stokes

    Paul Stokes Guest

    Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help but i've got it sorted
    now.

    Disabled Norton Internet Security (Firewall) which let me ping Desktop PC
    from Laptop. Obviously i don't wanna work without a firewall so do you know
    how to reconfigure Norton so that the network can work or should i post this
    as a new thread?

    Using control panel-network I changed the Primary Netwotk Logon to Client
    for Microsoft Networks instead of Microsoft Family Logon.
    Thought the Home Networking Wizard should have changed this itself as i only
    found this through luck/trial and error. I could find no reference to
    changing this option in online help.

    Thanks again for all the help

    Paul Stokes, Oct 22, 2003
  12. Paul Stokes

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:03:20 +0100, Paul Stokes wrote:

    Are you using any sort of firewall on PCs and/or filtering on the
    router? Maybe the wireless side in the router has different blocks for
    safety then the hardwired LAN side.

    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:03:37 +0100, Paul Stokes wrote:
    >>
    >> >Desktop machine results:
    >> >
    >> >Windows IP Configuration
    >> >
    >> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . : BEDROOM.blueyonder.co.uk

    >> You should not be using blueyonder.co.uk, that domain belongs to BT/TW
    >> not you.
    >>
    >> Try something like,
    >> bedroom.myhouse.invalid
    >>

    >How do I change it. I don't remember setting anything like this. During

    I am using an older Netgear RT314 and although there is a General config
    screen System Name / Domain name. For BY you only need the system name.
    I used 'link01' the domain name can be blank, but use 'home.invalid'

    >the Home Networking Wizard it asked for a name for the PC so i called it
    >Bedroom but i have no idea where the blueyonder.co.uk came from.

    Don't have WinMe but check, something like (in Win 2000) is

    Control Panel
    Network and DIal Up Connections
    Local Area Connection / right (primary button) click Properties
    TCP/IP properties
    Advanced / DNS tab

    Basically everything in this section (and previous tab General) IP/DNS
    and WINS should be blank with use DHCP selected.

    Windows is bad in that if any of these are filled in they override the
    DHCP settings sent by the router (i.e. BY supplied settings).

    In options / TCP/IP filtering / Properties allow all as a test. Note any
    setting you need change back after)

    For my router it has a system command prompt, this lets me display the
    LAN (PC) side connections. i.e. I can see the PC names, MAC address and
    the IP.
    If you can do something like that you should be able to see that the
    router knows about the info you included in the ipconfig text.

    It may look similar to ,
    BEDROOM.blueyonder.co.uk 00-02-E3-1E-BC-2E 192.168.1.100
    LAPTOP.blueyonder.co.uk 00-06-25-2C-DD-73 192.168.1.101

    This way the router would at least be looking at the right setup,
    hostnames and MAC i.e. network cards.

    Can you see the router config page from each PC?
    http://192.168.1.1/

    >> <big snip>
    >>
    >> As you did with ipconfig, it won't hurt to check the output of
    >> 'route print' as well, for each PC.

    ??

    >> If you have the option to connect the laptop, hardwired to discount any
    >> wireless configuration issues.

    ??

    >> Also don't forget about the BY self-help newsgroups as well.
    >>
    >> You mentioned the PC can ping the laptop, so can both PC/Laptop ping the
    >> router or if possible ping from the router to each.

    ??

    >I don't know how to go about this - how do i find out ther router's IP
    >address?

    You have seen it already,

    Description . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311/312 PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1E-BC-2E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

    Unless you changed something the Default Gateway / DHCP - 192.168.1.1 is
    the router. Then manul should confirm the default address is that.

    It's a bit late, and after being off sick a few days it's back to work
    tomorrow, so a reply may be delayed.

    >> It might also be intersting to see the steps a tracert takes. It's not
    >> usually a lot of help for 1-2 hop home LANS. However it may show the
    >> Linksys LAN/Wireless sides.
    >> http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/connected/trace.shtml
    >>

    >> >"Harrison" <> wrote in message

    >> <big snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    Me

    why?, Oct 22, 2003
  13. Paul Stokes

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:58:11 -0400, Harrison wrote:

    >Paul,
    >I've been tied up all day and have appointments the rest of today as
    >well (US). It's disgustingly easy money and I can't turn it down :)
    >
    >why? seems to have a good grasp of what's going on and you should
    >follow his suggestions.

    <blush>

    >I'll get back and watch the posts when I can.
    >Harrison.
    >
    >PS: Thanks for stepping in, why?

    NP :)

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:03:37 +0100, "Paul Stokes"
    ><paul.stokes@DELETE_THIS_BITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Desktop machine results:
    >>
    >>Windows IP Configuration
    >>
    >> Host Name . . . . . . . . . : BEDROOM.blueyonder.co.uk
    >> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 62.31.64.39
    >> 62.31.112.39

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 22, 2003
  14. Paul Stokes

    Harrison Guest

    Look at your reported network settings.
    You're not working without a firewall.
    NAT is a very effective and simple firewall. If you have NAT on your
    router or directly on your broadband modem, it's all you need when
    used sensibly and configured correctly.
    Review your devices' manuals and you'll more than likely see how to
    configure them to deny requests from the net. That's a very effective
    firewall.

    It's all I use. I have four computers on my LAN and the DSL's on all
    the time. Never had a problem.

    Norton and others manipulate the headlines to make the Internet seem
    like a dangerous place. There are dangers, but good common sense will
    keep you out of trouble without the aid of their expensive products.

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:39:50 +0100, "Paul Stokes"

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003