    other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources on the
    desktop computer?

    Thanks in advance.

    Edward Kelley, May 13, 2005

  2. Edward Kelley

    °Mike° Guest

    Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

    DIY home networking guides and tutorials
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    WLAN Wireless Networking
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

    Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/

    How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    In <RfSge.8866$>,
    Edward Kelley took 22 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 13, 2005

  3. "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message

    > "Edward Kelley" <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone help me with this one?
    >>
    >> I have two routers: a Netgear wireless router and a D-Link DI 707 wired
    >> router. I had this setup and working before but with static ip addresses
    >> because otherwise the wireless devices would lose connectivity. For the
    >> past couple months I've just been using the wireless router for
    >> everything, but I ran a cat 5 cable through my apartment so I could set
    >> up the wireless router close to the yard so I can surf the net outside in
    >> the summer. Of course, when I first hooked it up the wireless router
    >> still had the ip address 192.168.0.1, and I was/am able to get online
    >> fine that way, but now I can't access the desktop computer's files. When
    >> I change the ip address of the wireless router to 192.168.0.2 I get no
    >> connectivity at all except to the router, although I haven't tried
    >> accessing the desktop's files when I did that.
    >>
    >> My question is, what is the best way to set up this network so my laptop
    >> and other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources
    >> on the desktop computer?
    >>

    > You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the second
    > router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask of the
    > second router must equal the gateway router which is usually
    > 255.255.255.0. So that machines on both devices can share resources. A
    > DHCP IP will be gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for
    > any computer that is connected to the second router
    >
    > You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the cat5
    > cable and you're good to go.
    >
    > If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the way
    > the two routers are connected together.
    >
    > Duane :)

    When you say the second router, do you mean the wired router or the wireless
    one? I want to keep DHCP enabled on the wireless router which is plugged
    into the wired router.

    Edward Kelley, May 13, 2005

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 13, 2005
  5. "Edward Kelley" <> wrote in message
    > "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Edward Kelley" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can someone help me with this one?
    >>>
    >>> I have two routers: a Netgear wireless router and a D-Link DI 707 wired
    >>> router. I had this setup and working before but with static ip
    >>> addresses because otherwise the wireless devices would lose
    >>> connectivity. For the past couple months I've just been using the
    >>> wireless router for everything, but I ran a cat 5 cable through my
    >>> apartment so I could set up the wireless router close to the yard so I
    >>> can surf the net outside in the summer. Of course, when I first hooked
    >>> it up the wireless router still had the ip address 192.168.0.1, and I
    >>> was/am able to get online fine that way, but now I can't access the
    >>> desktop computer's files. When I change the ip address of the wireless
    >>> router to 192.168.0.2 I get no connectivity at all except to the router,
    >>> although I haven't tried accessing the desktop's files when I did that.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, what is the best way to set up this network so my laptop
    >>> and other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources
    >>> on the desktop computer?
    >>>

    >> You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the second
    >> router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask of the
    >> second router must equal the gateway router which is usually
    >> 255.255.255.0. So that machines on both devices can share resources. A
    >> DHCP IP will be gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for
    >> any computer that is connected to the second router
    >>
    >> You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the
    >> cat5 cable and you're good to go.
    >>
    >> If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the way
    >> the two routers are connected together.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > When you say the second router, do you mean the wired router or the
    > wireless one? I want to keep DHCP enabled on the wireless router which is
    > plugged into the wired router.

    The only router that can have DHCP enabled is the gateway router. That's the
    one that's connected to the modem.

    The wireless router (most routers have a built in switch) will be turned
    into a wire/wireless AP switch and it's no longer a router, when DHCP is
    disabled. You may want to do a search on Google or Dogpile.com to see if any
    settings that may need to be changed, like on the Linksys router being
    configured for to be a switch, one setting was changed fro Gateway to Router
    mode.

    The basic principle of connecting the two routers together are the same no
    matter if connecting two wired, two wireless, wire/wireless or
    wireless/wired routers together. If you don't want to share resources, then
    you would change the device subnet mask to be different on the second router
    (now a switch) to not match the subnet mask of the gateway router.

    http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 13, 2005
  6. "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message

    > "Edward Kelley" <> wrote in message
    >> "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Edward Kelley" <> wrote in message

    >>> You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the
    >>> second router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask
    >>> of the second router must equal the gateway router which is usually
    >>> 255.255.255.0. So that machines on both devices can share resources. A
    >>> DHCP IP will be gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for
    >>> any computer that is connected to the second router
    >>>
    >>> You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the
    >>> cat5 cable and you're good to go.
    >>>
    >>> If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the
    >>> way the two routers are connected together.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)
    >>>

    >> When you say the second router, do you mean the wired router or the
    >> wireless one? I want to keep DHCP enabled on the wireless router which
    >> is plugged into the wired router.

    > The only router that can have DHCP enabled is the gateway router. That's
    > the one that's connected to the modem.
    >
    > The wireless router (most routers have a built in switch) will be turned
    > into a wire/wireless AP switch and it's no longer a router, when DHCP is
    > disabled. You may want to do a search on Google or Dogpile.com to see if
    > any settings that may need to be changed, like on the Linksys router being
    > configured for to be a switch, one setting was changed fro Gateway to
    > Router mode.
    >
    > The basic principle of connecting the two routers together are the same no
    > matter if connecting two wired, two wireless, wire/wireless or
    > wireless/wired routers together. If you don't want to share resources,
    > then you would change the device subnet mask to be different on the second
    > router (now a switch) to not match the subnet mask of the gateway router.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks. It's working now. :)