    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Southern Kiwi

    steve Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Hi, 1 ME PC, 1 Win200pro laptop, both with 56k modems.
    > I have had them networked in the past with wire, now I want to go wireless,
    > may want to use pc's internet connection while sitting in the lazyboy in the
    > lounge.
    > Recommendations on hardware and any pitfalls for a wireless newbie please

    I have a DSE wireless 802.11b/g access point and two x DSE 802,11b
    wireless PCI cards.

    I had to buy the optional 7dBi di-pole antenna for all three in order to
    get a good enough signal to be reliable at the distances I have (10-15
    metres - through one or two wooden walls).

    The cards are cheap - $68? and the AP was $260-ish. The antennae were
    $50 each.

    The AP is connected to the LAN switch that in turn is connected to my
    DSE ADSL router.

    So I have the option to be wired - or not - as it suits me.

    steve, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Southern Kiwi

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    I've found the 802.11G Dick smith stuff fine.

    Just get an Access point and a pcmcia wireless lan card.

    Connect the Access point directly to the ME pc via a cross over cable, or
    into a switch/hub.

    Setup the lan card in the laptop and your all go. Using internet sharing on
    the ME machine will share the net to the laptop.

    Make sure you enable the encryption.

    Im presuming you already know basic networking. (setting up the IP's etc..)

    -{-astrae-}-, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Richard Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > Hi, 1 ME PC, 1 Win200pro laptop, both with 56k modems.
    > I have had them networked in the past with wire, now I want to go wireless,
    > may want to use pc's internet connection while sitting in the lazyboy in the
    > lounge.
    > Recommendations on hardware and any pitfalls for a wireless newbie please

    Dont bother trying ad-hoc mode, instead get an accesspoint and cable it to the
    desktops ethernet, You may need a crossover cable, but all the APs I have used
    have being autocrossover so you may not. This also means you can position the AP
    better if your computer is at one end of the house and you want to cover the
    whole house you can ethernet to the middle and put the AP high up on a shelf or
    something.

    PCMCIA or USB for the laptop, unless you have an available mini-pci slot on the
    laptop, which is the best way to go as it gives the antennas another 200-250mm
    of height which makes a big difference.

    Richard, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Southern Kiwi

    thing Guest

    That range sounds awful....but typical...

    I am using a dlink access point with a pcmcia dlink650+ and a pcmcia
    Orinoco (for linux). I get somewhat more than that in range, but not
    hugely probably 15~20+ metres and thats through a floor and 2 or 3 walls
    at the worst point. At $68 though I have to say the DSE units are cheap.

    Anybody used them on Linux?

    I would like to test a DSE pcmcia one at some point and see if its the
    card or the access point at issue (or both) for the poor range. The
    d-link access point is about the same cost as the DSE one so, if we
    could run a dlink point with cheap pcmcia DSE cards anbd get about the
    same range as the expensive pcmcia ones.......

    I like the dlink access point because it can filter on MAC addresses so
    you have a few levels of security.

    Security would be an issue, the dlink units have 256bit encryption not
    128 (though the orinoco is 128bit). I then run IPSEC VPN between my
    laptop (RedHat Linux) and my Firewall (Debian) at 2048bit encyption, it
    then routes to the Internet via Paraddise cable modem.

    So look for,

    1) An access point that does MAC filtering as your first line of defence.
    2) A minimum of 128bit encryption, preferably 256bit, in fact I'd not go
    less than 256bit.
    3) Some sort of return if its performance sucks, at least with DSE you
    have a 7 day right of return.
    4) An access point that you can add a bigger antenna to, or an
    amplifier, ie a BNC screw fitting.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Southern Kiwi

    Richard Guest

    thing wrote:

    > That range sounds awful....but typical...
    >
    > I am using a dlink access point with a pcmcia dlink650+ and a pcmcia
    > Orinoco (for linux). I get somewhat more than that in range, but not
    > hugely probably 15~20+ metres and thats through a floor and 2 or 3 walls
    > at the worst point. At $68 though I have to say the DSE units are cheap.

    Its the walls, not the cards. Unless your walls are made of ricepaper which I
    think there test houses are made of, they will really imhibit the range. I dont
    know what the fibreglass insulation does for it, but gibboard kills signal. I go
    from -20dB in netstumbler to less then -30 just by putting 4 layers of gib
    between the 2 antennas, and thats with it going perpendicular to the gib, when
    going thru floors its going at an angle thru the ceiling and the floor above it
    so you are going to have a longer path thru the gib, add in some foil backed
    insulation which is common in older houses and your lucky to get anything thru.
    I need 3 aps to cover the house acceptably, 2 is passable, 1 is only any good if
    its sitting on the top step so it can see both levels of the house.

    Richard, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Southern Kiwi

    manuka Guest

    Seconded ! The "b" ~$NZ65 DSE XH6822 & newer XH6859 (both actually
    ZyDAS ZD1201's) have been found great performers, although both run
    rather warm. NetStumbler 0.4 works as well, a fact used to great
    advantage in designing the USB WiFi Chinese cookware antenna
    =>www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz - LOS ranges to several km !

    Aside from the antenna,USB allows the WiFi device to be moved away
    from the metal screening & electrical noise of a typical desktop. The
    nature of indoors WiFi often means just shifting antenna/adaptors a
    handspan or so will be "sweet spot" hell or heaven. We also manage
    thru' several floors - including ferrocement ! Conclusion - at least
    try USB WiFi,& in spite of earlier postings consider ad hoc as an
    initial trial before you lash out on APs.

    However given the "g" takeover,IEEE802.11b APs are almost now "free to
    a good home" so perhaps cost effective. D-Link DWL-900AP+ "b" APs are
    selling trade here in Wellington ~$150 ( mid 2004 ), & they've the
    undocumented ability to both act as a repeater for ANY other AP (not
    just similar D-Links ) & power boost via an easy hack. See
    =>http://www.ralphfowler.com/links/dwl900.html

    manuka, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Southern Kiwi

    DaveG Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    > I've found the 802.11G Dick smith stuff fine.
    >
    > Just get an Access point and a pcmcia wireless lan card.
    >
    > Connect the Access point directly to the ME pc via a cross over cable, or
    > into a switch/hub.
    >
    > Setup the lan card in the laptop and your all go. Using internet sharing on
    > the ME machine will share the net to the laptop.
    >
    > Make sure you enable the encryption.
    >
    > Im presuming you already know basic networking. (setting up the IP's etc..)

    On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me what is the maximum
    number of wireless connections that can be made to an Access Point
    (concurrently) ?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    DaveG, Jun 25, 2004
  9. Southern Kiwi

    SteveM Guest

    DaveG <> wrote in

    > -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    >> I've found the 802.11G Dick smith stuff fine.
    >>
    >> Just get an Access point and a pcmcia wireless lan card.
    >>
    >> Connect the Access point directly to the ME pc via a cross over
    >> cable, or into a switch/hub.
    >>
    >> Setup the lan card in the laptop and your all go. Using internet
    >> sharing on the ME machine will share the net to the laptop.
    >>
    >> Make sure you enable the encryption.
    >>
    >> Im presuming you already know basic networking. (setting up the IP's
    >> etc..)
    >>

    > On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me what is the maximum
    > number of wireless connections that can be made to an Access Point
    > (concurrently) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Depends I suppose, but I have seen some that will theoretically support
    256 Connections.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jun 25, 2004
  10. DaveG wrote:
    > On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me what is the maximum
    > number of wireless connections that can be made to an Access Point
    > (concurrently) ?

    depends on the AP... mine has a limit of 256, but umm, I havent tested that.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 28, 2004
  11. Southern Kiwi

    DaveG Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > DaveG wrote:
    >
    >> On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me what is the maximum
    >> number of wireless connections that can be made to an Access Point
    >> (concurrently) ?

    > depends on the AP... mine has a limit of 256, but umm, I havent tested
    > that.

    OK, thanks for that. I'm looking at setting up a classroom of laptops
    and trying to avoid the lan cabling, but couldn't find any access point
    specs that really answered the question.

    Dave

    DaveG, Jun 28, 2004
  12. DaveG wrote:
    >>> On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me what is the maximum
    >>> number of wireless connections that can be made to an Access Point
    >>> (concurrently) ?

    >> depends on the AP... mine has a limit of 256, but umm, I havent tested
    >> that.

    > OK, thanks for that. I'm looking at setting up a classroom of laptops
    > and trying to avoid the lan cabling, but couldn't find any access point
    > specs that really answered the question.

    go for an 802.11G AP... even if you only have 802.11b gear in the
    machines, the G AP will give you better signal and range.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 29, 2004
  13. J.Random Luser, Jun 29, 2004
  14. Southern Kiwi

    DaveG Guest

    J.Random Luser wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > DaveG <> wrote:>
    >
    >>OK, thanks for that. I'm looking at setting up a classroom of laptops
    >>and trying to avoid the lan cabling, but couldn't find any access point
    >>specs that really answered the question.
    >>

    > wintel?
    >
    > apple use cows
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/education/powerschool/profiles/ramapo/index3.html

    Yeh, wintel. But with a linux file server/firewall/web server et al to
    tie it all together.

    The powerschool/cows looks interesting enough, although I'm not sure if
    kids will have the patience to upload/download their work when using the
    locker.

    Dave

    DaveG, Jun 29, 2004
  15. In article <>,
    DaveG <> wrote:

    > The powerschool/cows looks interesting enough, although I'm not sure if
    > kids will have the patience to upload/download their work when using the
    > locker.

    If their Home dirs are set as network mount from the server,
    they've got no choice...

    J.Random Luser, Jun 29, 2004