    I am a total nube to all this so any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Nath

    Bonehead, Apr 21, 2006

  2. If you log in as admin to the router from the PC (wired to LAN #1 normally),
    does it show that the laptop actually connected to the wireless network? Is
    the router as configured out of the box? Brand and model router?

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Bonehead

    Jack Guest

    Hi,
    Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
    somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
    actually have a functional Wireless connection.
    If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
    connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
    simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
    Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
    connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
    the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
    If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
    Once the Wireless is actually connected, you need to configure each computer
    Sharing settings. May be this can help http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 22, 2006
  4. "Bonehead" <> wrote in message
    >I have just bought a Laptop for my missus to use and so thought it would be
    >a good idea to set up wireless router so she can connect to the internet.
    >
    > The Main PC is connected via a lan cable as it is right next to the
    > router. I have tried connecting the laptop but it wont have any of it. It
    > is finding the cennection but will not let me surf the web. I can do it
    > however if I connect via cable.
    >
    > I am a total nube to all this so any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nath

    Sounds a real lot like your laptop is not using the same IP address as the
    router. On your main computer, go to Start, Run then type "cmd" without he
    quotes and hit enter. When the shell look alike comes up, do "ipconfig /all"
    without the quotes and see what your IP address is. Do the same on the
    laptop after you have attempted to connect. I am betting your laptop has an
    IP of 169.*.*.* where the "*" is a figure of which I am unsure and that your
    main computer is either 192.168.*.* or possibly 10.*.*.* instead. If this is
    the case, keep the shell look alike window open and type "ipconfig /renew"
    without the quotes and then do the ipconfig /all after it is finished. If it
    is in the same range as the main computer, your problems should be solved.
    If it isn't then make sure your laptop firewall is off and do it again. If
    no good, you can manually set the IP address on the laptop to the range of
    the modem. Eg, if the modem used 10.1.1.1 then set the laptop to 10.1.1.10
    (to keep confusion out) and also put the modem's IP address in as the
    gateway and in the DNS server section either put your ISP's DNS server IP
    addresses or just in the primary position put your modem's IP address. After
    that, try again and see what happens. It should work now unless it is
    something as simple as you having turned wireless off on the laptop and not
    realised it.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 22, 2006