    connected.

    Please help. Thanking anyone who helps in advance.

    Cia
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=, Nov 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You really aren't giving us enough info to be helpful. Would you please list
    all of your networking hardware details. What kind of network cards do you
    have in your laptop. Purchasing a wireless router is only half of the
    hardware you'll need, You also need a wireless network card configured the
    same way as you have configured the wireless router to connect wirelessly.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Hi David,

    Thank you for getting back to me. As mentioned I am not 100% sure as to what
    am doing when it comes to all of this and am not 100% sure of the
    information that you are asking me for. I have a wifi certified laptop and my
    WLAN is showing as on and working. What do you mean by network cards? The
    modem/router that I have got is a belkin 54g. Is there any chance that you
    could speak in laymans terms and then simplify them further for me. I am
    useless.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=, Nov 22, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Please open device manager and expand Network adapters, and
    tell us what is listed under this. You haven't said the OS you are using so
    it's somewhat hard to say how you do this. Generally you can open device
    manager from | Start (menu) | Control Panel | System | and click on the
    hardware (tab) (if using Windows XP) or look for device manger if using
    Vista (no hardware tab in Vista) | look for Network Adapters and click on
    the "+"
    in front of Network Adapters to expand it. Note any icons with an
    exclamation mark or question mark over them. List all adapters listed there.

    Please list the model number of your laptop.

    A network card is the hardware (the actual physical thing) that actually
    allows you to connect to another computer, that's half of the solution, the
    other is the software that tells the hardware what and how to do it. If I
    fail to explain myself feel free to ask me for a better clearer explanation,
    as many times as it takes.

    You may find a better explanation here as well as useful suggestions;

    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Thanks

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006
  5. Ok, apologies for not even informing you of the os - windows xp. My laptop is
    a compaq notebook V5031EA. Under network adaptors the following are
    displayed, neither have a question or exclamation mark over them and both are
    operating correctly according to this. They are 1) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    2)Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

    With regards to the network card don;t think I have this. I have no other
    computers to connect to, this is my only one. I am sorry to be so thick I
    have tried to do everything logically but on this occasion logic is failing
    me.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=, Nov 22, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=

    David Hettel Guest

    I've found over the years that when setting up a wireless network it is
    often helpful to initially set it up with security disabled. We don't have
    to do that now, let's see if we can figure out what is going wrong with the
    way it is set up now. Then once it is up and running to start adding the
    security features one at a time. This helps to separate where any problems
    are. There are two version of XP, XP home and XP Pro, there are some real
    differences when networking between the two, down the line that may make a
    difference.

    Ok Here is what I'd like you to do for now.

    1) Reboot your V5031EA without it wired to the wireless router/modem. By the
    way what model is this please?

    2) With the wireless turn on does your V5031EA report that it finds your
    network? With the card active (you should have some kind of indicator light
    showing that the wireless/wi-fi/ is enabled) it should find your network
    within a minute or two of your V5031EA finishing the boot process.

    This is the first step. If it fails to find the router/modem do you have
    SSID enabled in the wireless settings for your router/modem? Hopefully
    you'll have an icon in the bottom right corner of your screen on the Taskbar
    for the wireless card. It may appear as one computer, if so right click on
    it and you should see an option to find wireless networks. If you click
    (left button) on this option does it find any networks? Or are you told it
    can't.

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006