    my music and files and so on - onto the pc upstairs.
    can anyone help ?
    thanks in advance
    Alzibob, Jul 13, 2003

  2. "Alzibob" <> wrote in
    news:fE9Qa.8131$:

    > I wonder if any one can help me !
    > I have a laptop running windows xp pro with a belkin wireless PCMCIA
    > card which connects to a belkin gateway router which in turn connects
    > to a by webstar cable modem.
    > I have built a new pc upstairs and added a usb wireless network
    > adapter. As soon as I installed the usb adapter it connected to the
    > net straight away is it possible to connect the pc and laptop together
    > using the hardware I have or do I need a an access point ?
    > I can ping each other but cannot connect or see each other in my
    > network places.
    > Ive tried adding a network place also viewing workgroup computers and
    > setting up small networks.
    > also mapping a drive but all to no avail.
    > I have tried sharing drives and folders but still nothing.
    > I want to print from my laptop if possible to my printer connected to
    > the pc which is upstairs and as there is a huge hard drive on the pc I
    > want to save my music and files and so on - onto the pc upstairs.
    > can anyone help ?
    > thanks in advance

    If you can ping each other your physical network is working just fine and
    it's probably something stupid like not having both machines in the same
    workgroup (right-click > properties on my computer > network
    identification)

    Either that or you don't have the same account on both machines (i.e. the
    admin password is different for both machines). Make sure you have an
    account that has a decent amount of permissions on both machines (i.e.
    power user, or admin) and it's the same exact username and password
    combination.

    That should do the trick.

    --
    -=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-