    it will connect to the AP but will not pass packets. Wireless properties
    show packets being sent from the client, but none received. Sometimes the
    machine will start working the next day, but usually not. Please help!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?=, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Lawrence, you say that after entering the correct WEP key, XP indicates a
    good connection, which means that you have a Data Link layer connection. But
    you can't ping, which indicates a layer 3 problem (IP). You say that your
    rebuilt system worked with DHCP on, but not when you assigned the IP address,
    which points again to an IP address problem. I'm not sure why you want
    static IP, but I would suggest using DHCP.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZkQ=?=, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Tried DHCP, thought it was working but we're back to the same point. Also,
    tried with a different make of laptop (Compaq Presario pre-HP), wireless
    card (Belkin) and OS (Win ME) - failures still occur. I did note that when
    failure occurs, unplugging the power for the AP (or resetting it remotely)
    will allow the station to connect again for some number of times, but the
    situation always returns. I'm down to where the only common factor is the
    APs, and having the teachers unplug APs during class is not an acceptable
    solution. Any ideas?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?=, Mar 16, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?=

    SpiritBoy Guest

    Are the wireless coverage range on the AP's overlapping? If so make
    sure you have the AP's configured on different wireless channels. Ex.
    1,6,11. So that none of the overlapping signals are on the same
    channel. If signals overlap on the same channel then that will cause
    weird inconsistent problems similar to yours.

    Jason

    SpiritBoy, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Three APs, channels set up EXACTLY as you described (1,6,11).

    =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?=, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Maybe more background info will help.
    LAN side of network is private addressing (172.31.0-3.X, netmask
    255.255.252.0).
    DWL-G700AP DLink access points LAN address static 172.31.1.X
    Three access points every other room in hall, set to CH1,6,11
    Was using static IP addreses for laptops, problem remained after changing to
    DHCP
    "Info bubble" indicates signal good or better - WEP key is correct
    When failed, cannot ping AP (or anything else) from wireless side
    From LAN side, AP web interface indicates proper operation - IP address
    assigned and system name.
    All laptops latest firmware, driver and OS updates installed

    This almost makes me miss Cat5.....

    Larry

    =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?=, Mar 16, 2005