    So, is there available any easier to install hardware for such a
    desktop - say something using a USB port?
    , Jun 1, 2009

  2. Yes, they make ones that work by just plugging into USB,...they look about
    the same as a thumb drive.

    --
    Phillip Windell

    Phillip Windell, Jun 1, 2009

  3. wrote:
    > I have three computers and a wireless multi port DSL modem. Two of
    > the computers, an XP laptop and a Vista desktop come equipped with
    > wireless cards. The third, an XP desktop is older and has no
    > installed wireless card. There are no PCMIA slots on my this computer.
    >
    > I know I can buy and install a wireless card in the desktop, but that
    > involves surgery - opening and dinking around inside the box - and I'm
    > all thumbs.
    >
    > So, is there available any easier to install hardware for such a
    > desktop - say something using a USB port?

    There are simply loads of these available. There's a lot to be said for
    using kit from the same manufacturer as your wireless modem. Having
    said that, I rather like the ones which come with a stand and extension
    cable (so you can wiggle it for best reception) or with a wiggleable
    antenna. I bought this one recently:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll
    ?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300312867791

    (join URL so as to have no spaces, etc in the line).
    You can even connect an extension antenna to this one, instead of the
    one supplied.

    Phil, London
    Philip Herlihy, Jun 1, 2009
  4. Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    If you decide to conquer your fear of hardware this is a very good
    inexpensive choice.
    Edimax - PCI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
    http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    Otherwise get this,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166022
    The external antenna makes it a better choice than most of these "gizmos".
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Jun 2, 2009