    NZ

    ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...

    --

    BB, Feb 4, 2005

  2. BB

    BB Guest

    > So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
    > house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
    > ethernet switch in the gottage.
    >
    > What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.

    Does the DLink 624+ have a point to point bridging mode? Does anyone know?

    Rgds

    BB
    BZ

    BB, Feb 4, 2005

  3. BB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    BB wrote:
    > Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
    > crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.
    >
    > So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
    > house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
    > ethernet switch in the gottage.
    >
    > What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.
    >
    > BB
    > NZ
    >
    > ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...

    Well, I've got a D-Link DWL2000AP+ which performed flawlessly for the
    first few months I had it; now, however, it needs resetting a couple of
    times every day. Which makes it pretty well useless. Nothing in my setup
    (or, AFAIK, my neighbours) has changed since I bought the AP.

    Symptoms are that networking slows right down to a crawl (the D-Link
    monitor app shows very low and intermittent rates), but Netstumbler
    shows no change in signal strength, and I can usually access the
    management interface to reset the device.

    YMMV, but I'm not recommending D-Link to anyone.

    I'm starting to think that the whole computing market is full of gear
    and technology and ideas that just don't work well enough, but WiFi is
    particularly bad. I have never bought a wireless product from DSE, for
    example, that I didn't take back.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Feb 4, 2005
  4. BB

    SteveM Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news::

    > BB wrote:
    >> Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap
    >> of crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.
    >>
    >> So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router
    >> for the house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked
    >> up to my ethernet switch in the gottage.
    >>
    >> What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP
    >> setup.
    >>
    >> BB
    >> NZ
    >>
    >> ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...
    >>

    > Well, I've got a D-Link DWL2000AP+ which performed flawlessly for the
    > first few months I had it; now, however, it needs resetting a couple
    > of times every day. Which makes it pretty well useless. Nothing in my
    > setup (or, AFAIK, my neighbours) has changed since I bought the AP.
    >
    > Symptoms are that networking slows right down to a crawl (the D-Link
    > monitor app shows very low and intermittent rates), but Netstumbler
    > shows no change in signal strength, and I can usually access the
    > management interface to reset the device.
    >
    > YMMV, but I'm not recommending D-Link to anyone.
    >
    > I'm starting to think that the whole computing market is full of gear
    > and technology and ideas that just don't work well enough, but WiFi is
    > particularly bad. I have never bought a wireless product from DSE, for
    > example, that I didn't take back.
    >
    > cheers

    If you are looking at splitting the DSL and wireless functions across two
    seperate units then I would suggest looking at the Linksys WRT54G
    Wireless router. They are a completely different beast to the WAG54G and
    have great community support regards firmware / hacking.
    My one has been up for 76 days without missing a beat (currently using
    beta Sevasoft firmware)

    As for the DSL side of things ????, but if you found something that you
    could bridge to the WRT54G using PPPoE then at least you would not have
    the hassle of double natting etc.............

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 5, 2005
  5. BB

    Allistar Guest

    BB wrote:

    > Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
    > crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.
    >
    > So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
    > house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
    > ethernet switch in the gottage.
    >
    > What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.
    >
    > BB
    > NZ
    >
    > ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...

    I have a Netgear DG834G and am very happy with it. I get a 54Mb connection
    over wireless (802.11g). It's also a switching router, ADSL modem and has
    quite a few firewall options. Havne't had a problem with it so far.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 5, 2005
  6. BB

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <4203b7e1$>, "BB" <> wrote:

    > Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
    > crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.

    Have to agree there, the WAG54G is the WORST piece of computing gear I
    have bought in over 20 years. I will be attempting to get my money back
    under the fair trade act as it is NOT suitable for the purposes it was
    sold for, ie a reliable wireless connection.

    I am interested is the ADSL/ 802.11g package that works well for a
    Mac/PC set up

    whoisthis, Feb 5, 2005