wireless frustrations - dropouts, etc.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by spoon2001, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. spoon2001

    spoon2001 Guest

    I am trying to network my computers wirelessly but am having lots of
    frustrations. The house is pretty spread out, lots of walls, etc.

    Anyway yesterday I was testing out the wireless connection out to the
    computer in the den. As a test, I was playing albums of MP3 files from my
    bedroom computer on the den computer, over the wireless connection.

    Intermittently the desktop computer or the den computer would lose its
    connection. The computers would reestablish the network connections
    automatically, but each time I would have to restart the MP3 playback.

    Is it normal to have these intermittent dropouts, is it something I should
    expect?

    If so, how is it possible to do extended unattended operations?

    Here is my equipment.

    Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router
    D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless G PCI Desktop Adapter - in my bedroom desktop
    computer
    Hawking Hi-Gain Omni-Directional 2.4 Ghz 6dBi antenna - connected to D-Link
    card above computer
    Netgear WG311 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter - in the computer I had in the den
    Both computers running WinXP, all devices configured for WPA/PSK security

    I got these cards to take advantage of rebates. Got the Linksys router
    after returning a Netgear router - I thought having dual replaceable
    antennae would help with coverage problems.

    Any recommendations on how I can get a wireless network up and running
    dependably, without dropouts, etc? Any particular equipment
    recommendations? I have tried to get inexpensive equipment so far (rebate
    deals, etc), but after all these frustrations I'd be willing to spend more
    to get a reliable connection.

    Thanks for any help.

    spoon2001, Jun 11, 2005

  2. spoon2001

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    When having a Wireless Coverage problem that seems to be out of boundary.
    I.e. The distance is much less then expected.
    1. Get an Hold of a Computer that has Wireless card and can be easily moved
    around (Like a Laptop or PDA).
    Read this: http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    And install Netstumbler on the portable computer.
    Put the Wireless client in a distance and start to play with positioning of
    the Wireless Source (Wireless Router, or an Access Point).
    It might be you would find a spot that would provide better propagation.
    While using the client with Netstumbler as your reference device.
    2. If it does not help or the spot that provides better signal is not in a
    practical place to put the Wireless Source in, you might need additional
    hardware to provide better coverage, the content of the following links
    might help:
    May be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    http://.ezlan.net/antennae.html