    wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband

    Thanx

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    SNOman Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
    > wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Squirrel

    have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
    just the xtra Dlink modem?
    SNOman, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
    >> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
    >just the xtra Dlink modem?

    LOL
    Bret, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:31:22 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has wireless,
    > says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Squirrel

    find a hotspot
    http://www.netstumbler.org/

    download a cracker
    http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/

    cracking
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article118.php
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article120.php

    more cracking
    http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1814
    http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1824

    And when you are caught by mr plod. can I borrow your laptop :)

    Shane, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    XPD Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
    > wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband

    Depends on your hardware etc...

    Basically, the access point/router and the dongle/wifi card on your PC have
    to be setup the same for security etc. ie: If WEP is turned on, on the
    router/AP then itll have to be turned on at the PC as well and stuff like
    that....
    Ive only played with 2 Wifi setups and got both working fine with a little
    bit of playing without manuals :)
    XPD, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Tim Guest

    try www.ezlan.net
    click wireless and have a look around. They have topics covering just about
    every issue.

    Tim, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > find a hotspot
    > http://www.netstumbler.org/
    >
    > download a cracker
    > http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > cracking
    > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article118.php
    > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article120.php
    >
    > more cracking
    > http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1814
    > http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1824

    Nice links.

    Now, got any links on countermeasures against wardrivers and wep crackers?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 21, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:39:03 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> find a hotspot
    >> http://www.netstumbler.org/
    >>
    >> download a cracker
    >> http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> cracking
    >> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article118.php
    >> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article120.php
    >>
    >> more cracking
    >> http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1814
    >> http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1824

    > Nice links.
    >
    > Now, got any links on countermeasures against wardrivers and wep crackers?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > EB

    Heh.. all is not lost,
    WPA and WPA2 are the 'newer betterer funkier' encryption methods

    I googled and got the following
    http://www.ais.columbia.edu/ais/html/wirelesscomputing.html
    http://netsecurity.about.com/od/quicktip1/qt/qtwifiwepwpa.htm
    http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/protected_access.asp
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

    But lets be honest, your average wardriver is looking for the low hanging
    fruit, and the number of times I have set up a wireless network, only to
    discover I was flooded with unencrypted networks means that most networks
    would be protected purely by switching ON the encryption methods

    HTH

    Shane, Sep 21, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Richard Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > But lets be honest, your average wardriver is looking for the low hanging
    > fruit, and the number of times I have set up a wireless network, only to
    > discover I was flooded with unencrypted networks means that most networks
    > would be protected purely by switching ON the encryption methods

    WPA is very vunerable if the passphrase is a stupid one, as you can get a small
    number of frames and crack it offline, whereas WEP you have to hammer the AP
    with dupe frames untill you get enough encryption vectors to use the
    vunerability. If you have good signal to the AP it can be as little as 10 mins,
    but if you dont it can take a lot longer being onsite and the wlan is being
    hammered so will be slow for anyone using it while you are doing it.

    WPA is less secure if you dont take care choosing the key. I *hear of one being*
    cracked that had something like p455w0rd as the key....

    Best solution is to put the wireless downstream of the firewall and VPN into
    your network if you need to access it, same as you would from the internet.
    Richard, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:39:03 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Now, got any links on countermeasures against wardrivers and wep crackers?

    IPSec. If someone gets through the WEP or WPA stuff and connects to the
    access point, they still need a preshared IPSec key to talk to any
    legimate hosts on the network (including the gateway).

    That would probably discourage practically all wardrivers.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 21, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
    >> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
    >just the xtra Dlink modem?

    the latter, one output, got to scrape 160 together for multiple port.

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 21, 2005
  12. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:52:31 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Squirrel wrote:
    >>> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
    >>> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
    >>>
    >>> Thanx
    >>>
    >>> Squirrel
    >>>

    >>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
    >>just the xtra Dlink modem?

    >LOL

    It is rude to laugh at the inenlightened lol

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:14:42 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:31:22 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has wireless,
    >> says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> Squirrel

    thanx shane, god more sex on the telly, can you hear it from your
    place?

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 21, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:58:34 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
    >> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband

    >Depends on your hardware etc...
    >
    >Basically, the access point/router and the dongle/wifi card on your PC have
    >to be setup the same for security etc. ie: If WEP is turned on, on the
    >router/AP then itll have to be turned on at the PC as well and stuff like
    >that....
    >Ive only played with 2 Wifi setups and got both working fine with a little
    >bit of playing without manuals :)

    jesus what ever happened to plug and play!! Anyone wanna buy a
    laptop, too damn flash for this dullite, but the free MP3 player is
    excellent lol

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 21, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    Mercury Guest

    you mean wpa-psk.
    mind you a naff idiot password on most systems won't keep people out
    forlong.

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> But lets be honest, your average wardriver is looking for the low hanging
    >> fruit, and the number of times I have set up a wireless network, only to
    >> discover I was flooded with unencrypted networks means that most networks
    >> would be protected purely by switching ON the encryption methods

    > WPA is very vunerable if the passphrase is a stupid one, as you can get a
    > small number of frames and crack it offline, whereas WEP you have to
    > hammer the AP with dupe frames untill you get enough encryption vectors to
    > use the vunerability. If you have good signal to the AP it can be as
    > little as 10 mins, but if you dont it can take a lot longer being onsite
    > and the wlan is being hammered so will be slow for anyone using it while
    > you are doing it.
    >
    > WPA is less secure if you dont take care choosing the key. I *hear of one
    > being* cracked that had something like p455w0rd as the key....
    >
    > Best solution is to put the wireless downstream of the firewall and VPN
    > into your network if you need to access it, same as you would from the
    > internet.

    nup wpa with 802.11x
    Mercury, Sep 21, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    XPD Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message

    > jesus what ever happened to plug and play!! Anyone wanna buy a
    > laptop, too damn flash for this dullite, but the free MP3 player is
    > excellent lol

    LOL
    I know, PnP is a thing of the past ;)
    My Amiga was more PnP than todays PC's :)
    XPD, Sep 21, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    SNOman Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:52:31 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
    >>>just the xtra Dlink modem?

    >>LOL

    > It is rude to laugh at the inenlightened lol
    >
    > Squirrel

    Well you made no mention on whether you were trying to get this running
    at home with your wired broadband setup or if you specifically meant
    trying to use your laptop via a wifi hotspot then you should have said so.

    Getting wifi going at home is childs play.
    SNOman, Sep 21, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:22:27 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:52:31 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
    >>>just the xtra Dlink modem?

    >>LOL

    >It is rude to laugh at the inenlightened lol
    >
    >Squirrel

    So do you have an access point?
    Bret, Sep 22, 2005
  19. In <-a-geek.net> Shane wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:39:03 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    >> Now, got any links on countermeasures against wardrivers and wep
    >> crackers? -- Cheers EB

    > But lets be honest, your average wardriver is looking for the low
    > hanging fruit, and the number of times I have set up a wireless
    > network, only to discover I was flooded with unencrypted networks
    > means that most networks would be protected purely by switching ON the
    > encryption methods

    I have a wireless network that I need to tie down, but I'm a complete
    newbie to these things.

    I think I have found the relevant settings in my router, which give me
    the following options:
    WEP : Open System / Shared Key / WPA / WPA-PSK
    WEP : Enabled / Disabled
    WEP Encryption : 64 bit / 128 bit / 256 bit
    Key Type : HEX / ASCII
    Key1 - Key4 : There are four fields here to enter information.

    Can someone give me some advice as to how I should configure these
    settings and what, if anything, I need to do on my computer? This is a
    home network out in the suburbs, so it doesn't have to be super-secure,
    but I'd at least like to keep any nosey neighbours out of my network.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.
    Alastair .geek.nz, Sep 22, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:13:59 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> jesus what ever happened to plug and play!! Anyone wanna buy a
    >> laptop, too damn flash for this dullite, but the free MP3 player is
    >> excellent lol

    >LOL
    >I know, PnP is a thing of the past ;)
    >My Amiga was more PnP than todays PC's :)

    my cats respond more favourably to point and push :) Better than any
    mouse :)

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 22, 2005