Wireless file transfer speed question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Steve, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Greets, all.

    Could anyone here tell me if it is normal to see slow performance for
    wireless file transfer from PC to PC via Windows workgroup?

    All my machines run XP SP1 and have stable, speedy access to my cable
    internet. When transferring files from desktop to desktop using wired
    100mb/s, speed is fairly close to the actual max rate of my hard drives - a
    700mb file takes about 3 1/2 min. to copy. However, when transferring from
    wired desktop to wireless laptop (or desktop), speed is roughly 10 times
    slower.

    My equipment:
    Linksys BEFSR41 router hitched to cable modem
    Netgear WGR614 wireless G router attached as WAP (DHCP disabled)
    Netgear WG111 USB G adapter
    2 desktops connected by wire to Linksys router (100mb/s)
    1 laptop connected by USB G adapter

    I have no problems browsing my workgroup LAN as far as shared files, folders
    and printers go. But when I need to copy a big file, I find that it is
    painfully slow to do so over the wireless portion, and usually just patch
    the laptop in via my knotted up 100-foot-long CAT5 cable.

    Any way to get faster speeds, considering that my 54mb/s connection is
    stable and strong?

    Thanks.

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Steve

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    The only solid way to know the Real "Speed" is to transfer a 10MB file and
    measure the time.
    Or to install NetIQ:
    http://www.ixiacom.com/products/performance_applications/pa_display.php?skey
    =pa_q_check
    As for realistic expectation take a look in the middle of this page:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 25, 2004