Wireless file sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. I read the ezlan article that Jack suggested... But if I have two machines
    with two wireless cards going through a router, is that considered "sharing"
    the internet? I guess it is...

    Here is my deal:
    I have the following hardware:

    - DSL router plugged into:
    - Linksys G Router
    - Laptop with INTERNAL wireless network card
    - Laptop with EXTERNAL wireless network card
    - D-Link Wireless Print server

    Running XP SP-2, Norton Firewall 2005 on one, aand McAfee on the other.

    I would like to share files between the two machines.

    Both already share the router to access the internet. Both share the
    wireless print server.

    I ran the wireless wizard on the machine with the INTERNAL, OK. Then when I
    ran it on the machine with the EXTERNAL, it did not allow a connection.

    Don't I want to simultaneously show an active Access Point connection AND an
    active Computer-to-Computer connection?

    When I ran the wireless wizard on the machine with the INTERNAL, it
    defaulted to creating an "OPEN" Network Authentication with WEP encryption, a
    long-ass network key, and the check box for ad-hoc connection is grayed out.

    Should I start over? How do I "fix" the other machine?

    How do I totally delete whatever I did LAST time I ran the Wizard?

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=, Mar 22, 2005

  2. I need help with this, I have been going in circles all day!

    I am opening View Wireless Networks, Change Advanced Settings.

    My linksys router is there, on both machines, with a little "RKO" circle
    around the antenna. Obviously, I can get on the Internet. And I can also
    print from both machines to the wireless print server.

    My "RJB HOME" network shows on the Preferred network screen, but it has a
    little red ex through it. I have deleted, added, deleted, added ad nauseum.

    On the NEW machine (InternalNIC), the "ad hoc" button is checked and grayed
    out. On the OLD (external NIC), the ad hoc button is NOT checked and grayed
    out.

    Don't I WANT this to be ad-hoc?

    Does the SSID have to match the Workgrp name? Currently they are different.

    Help! And Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=, Mar 22, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Sharing Files between Network computers have nothing to do with the Wireless
    per-se. Wireless is just a replacement to Wire.
    If your Wireless connection between the Wireless computers and the Router
    work. I.e. you can surf with all the computer the Internet. Then the Sharing
    problem is a Network problem regardless of the medium (wired or and
    wireless).
    I do not know which page you referring to but this page is geared toward
    General Sharing issue: : http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=

    WLW Guest

    > Don't I WANT this to be ad-hoc?

    No.

    If you have Linksys Wireless G Router as you mentioned in your previous
    posting, then you should be setting up a "Wireless Infrastructure-Mode
    Network", not a "Wireless Ad-Hoc Network". An Ad-Hoc Network is one set up
    WITHOUT a Wireless Access Point, using only computer systems with Wireless
    Network Interfaces. A Linksys Wireless G Router is an Access Point with a
    Hub and other things thrown in.

    > Don't I want to simultaneously show an active Access Point connection
    > AND an active Computer-to-Computer connection?

    No.

    An Ad-Hoc network uses one computer configured as a Host in place of the
    Wireless Access Point or Router. The Host is connected to the Internet and
    shares this connection wirelessly with the other systems, providing the IP
    address configuration, Network Address Translation, DNS settings and other
    services.

    If you have the Linksys Wireless G Router, these services should be provided
    by the Router and the systems connect wirelessly to the Router, NOT to each
    other in Ad-Hoc mode.

    Your wireless systems will communicate to one another THROUGH the Wireless G
    router.

    > Does the SSID have to match the Workgrp name? Currently they are
    > different.

    The SSID and the Workgroup name are used for different things. They CAN be
    the same but do not need to be and I would recommend that you NOT use the
    same name.

    To easily share Files and Printers using Microsoft Windows Networking
    without a Domain Controller, the computers should share the same Workgroup
    Name.

    To communicate together on a Wireless Network, each wireless device should
    be configured with the identical SSID.

    > On the NEW machine (InternalNIC), the "ad hoc" button is checked and
    > grayed
    > out. On the OLD (external NIC), the ad hoc button is NOT checked and
    > grayed
    > out.

    If you have some devices already configured with the Ad-Hoc turned on, and
    others with it turned off, and they are using the same SSID, I strongly
    recommend that you Remove the preferred connections from wireless connection
    properties page on all systems and start over using a new, unique SSID.

    On each Windows system, before adding the Preferred Wireless Network, open
    the Properties page of the wireless connection and select the Wireless
    Networks tab. Click on the Advanced button and select "Access Point
    (infrastructure) Networks Only". Then Clear the box marked "Automatically
    Connect to Non-Preferred Networks". Then click on Close to close the
    Advanced page and OK to save those settings. This will get them talking
    Infrastructure-Mode only, not Ad-Hoc.

    Then set up ONE of your systems at a time to talk to the Internet through
    the Wireless Router. Once you have one system talking to the Internet
    through the Wireless router, then set up the others one at a time. Once they
    are all talking to the Internet, the wireless network should be fine.

    After all the systems are talking to the Internet THEN make sure that the
    Workgroup is the same and try sharing your files and printers.

    Hope this clears up more dust than it kicks up...
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Mar 23, 2005
  5. WLW:

    Nope. Still not happening. I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting this
    nonsense, but I am flippin' STUMPED.

    On my NEW machine (the one with the internal card), I can see the Shared
    Folder on the OLD machine under "My Network Places". On the OLD machine, I
    cannot see anything from the NEW machine, even though there are a few shared
    folders.

    Have turned OFF my Netgear utility on the old machine (Netgear is the
    external wireless NIC);

    Am ON the internet using the Windows Wireless utility - on BOTH computers;

    The SSID for the wireless router/internet connection is "linksys". That is
    active on BOTH computers, and both are ON the internet;

    File sharing is ON on BOTH computers. Workgroup is the SAME on BOTH computers;

    I have turned off the Windows firewall on both, and the Norton firewall on
    the old (internal NIC) machine.

    Thanks for your advice so far... I think I tried to add TOO MUCH instead of
    just letting those smart people from Redmond run my life for me!

    =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=, Mar 25, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=

    WLW Guest

    > On my NEW machine (the one with the internal card), I can see
    > the Shared Folder on the OLD machine under "My Network
    > Places". On the OLD machine, I cannot see anything from the
    > NEW machine, even though there are a few shared
    > folders.

    If the NEW machine can see the Old machine, then the Wireless and IP
    settings are probably all correct. I would say to double-check the firewall
    settings, check for things like Virus Blocking stuff, and then, as much as I
    hate to suggest it, I'd would guess that the TCP/IP Stack is corrupted.

    When you change configurations too much on a system, especially if you run
    the Network Setup Wizard too many times, then you end up with a lot of
    garbage lying around in the Registry. This can keep Windows Networking and
    especially File and Printer Sharing for working reliably.

    There are some Knowledge Base articles that address that issue. You may want
    to look at:

    http://www.ezine.com/QandA/FixWinXPTCPIPStack.shtml

    Hope this helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

    For file sharing, since they're both laptops - which means one or both might
    be away from network - I set up Shared Documents as a Briefcase, and then
    I'll update whenever one leaves the house. Do you recommend an alternative?

    Also, I am set up as Administrator on both machines, with access to my
    personal files ("My Documents", etc.) limited only to me. Will XP recognize
    if I am logged on to one machine that my username and password will grant
    permission to the files, etc., on the OTHER machine? (That is, if I go
    through My Network Places to the other hard drive, can I access My Documents
    on THAT machine)?

    Thanks for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=, Mar 27, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=

    thomkola Guest

    i have two lap tops both running on window xp service pack 2, I am trying to
    connect both laptops through WIFI and want to transfer file between two. I
    could able to connect both via wifi , but unable to share files. KIndly
    advice me.

    thankx

    thomkola, May 30, 2008
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=

    RJB Guest

    Wow, this is an old thread!

    I presume you have a wireless router that both laptops "see"? Are they both
    getting on this Internet with that same router?

    Also, is one, say, a work-issued laptop that homes in on a different network?

    I suspect the answer to your question is simple; it will be simpler if I/we
    know the answers to the above.

    Thanks!

    RJB, May 30, 2008