Wireless File and Print Sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard wired
    through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
    access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the two
    units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the bonus
    computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus computer,
    I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark printer
    connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus computer.
    This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and print
    sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file sharing
    and print sharing.

    I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I tried
    to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped or
    did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
    security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.

    This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet from
    each other.

    Assistance?

    Thanks
    MLW

    =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 25, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    TAC Guest

    I had a similar problem with the firewall and remote access. I found this
    and it fixed both issues....tacretired

    SP2 breaks Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Service
    Follow these steps below:

    1. Click "Start" followed by "Run..."

    2. Type in "regedt32" and hit the enter key.

    3. Locate the key
    HKEY_Local_MACHINE\software\classes\appid\{ce166e40-1e72-45b9-94c9-3b2050i8f180}
    and highlight it.

    4. Click "File" and then "Export" from the File menu and export a copy
    of the key.

    5. Make sure the key mentioned in step 3 is still highlighted and
    delete it.

    6. Restart your computer and the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
    Sharing Service should start automatically.

    TAC, Aug 25, 2005

  3. TAC

    Thanks for the quick response.

    I was not able to find this key in the registry. In fact I searched the
    entire registry for the key value and was unsuccessful.

    Any other ideas or suggestions?
    MLW

    =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 25, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    David {MVP} Guest

    You might want to take a look at this page,
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html and see if it helps any. Also take a look
    at http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html

    Can you "ping" the other computers by both name and IP address? Can the
    wireless computer access the WRT54 G setup page?

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 25, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    Malke Guest

    MLW wrote:

    > I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard
    > wired through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for
    > internet
    > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the
    > two
    > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the
    > bonus
    > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
    > computer,
    > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark
    > printer connected to the office computer but can not print from the
    > bonus computer. This system has previously worked and allowed both
    > file access and print
    > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
    > sharing and print sharing.
    >
    > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I
    > tried to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has
    > stopped or
    > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
    > security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
    >
    > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet
    > from each other.

    If the Windows Firewall is off, then what firewall do you have in place?
    Third-party firewalls - including Norton Antivirus which has a simple
    firewall called "Internet Worm Protection" - will disable the Windows
    Firewall. You say this setup worked once - what changed between the
    time things worked and the time they didn't?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Thanks for the information. I can ping both computers and pull up the Router
    setup page from both computers. Just cannot access files or the printer from
    the bonus computer.

    I will have to review the weblinks to see if this helps

    =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 26, 2005
  7. THis is what I fear. I have the office machine connected the router which is
    connected to the cable modem. I do have Norton AV installed and internet
    worm protection is activate. I de-activated it and I still cannot modify the
    firewall setting. Again it is turned off and indicates that the controls are
    made via group policy. This machine is running XP - Home not professional.

    THanks
    MLW

    =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 26, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    Malke Guest

    MLW wrote:

    > THis is what I fear. I have the office machine connected the router
    > which is
    > connected to the cable modem. I do have Norton AV installed and
    > internet
    > worm protection is activate. I de-activated it and I still cannot
    > modify the firewall setting. Again it is turned off and indicates that
    > the controls are
    > made via group policy. This machine is running XP - Home not
    > professional.
    >
    > THanks
    > MLW
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> MLW wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is
    >> > hard wired through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable
    >> > modem for internet
    >> > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have
    >> > the two
    >> > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see
    >> > the bonus
    >> > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
    >> > computer,
    >> > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark
    >> > printer connected to the office computer but can not print from the
    >> > bonus computer. This system has previously worked and allowed both
    >> > file access and print
    >> > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for
    >> > file sharing and print sharing.
    >> >
    >> > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off.
    >> > I tried to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center
    >> > has stopped or
    >> > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that
    >> > for security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
    >> >
    >> > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10
    >> > feet from each other.
    >> >

    >> If the Windows Firewall is off, then what firewall do you have in
    >> place? Third-party firewalls - including Norton Antivirus which has a
    >> simple firewall called "Internet Worm Protection" - will disable the
    >> Windows Firewall. You say this setup worked once - what changed
    >> between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

    Do you have any other third-party antimalware products installed? The
    Beta Microsoft Antispyware program had problems with the XPSP2 Windows
    Firewall. Here are some links about that:

    FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
    Start>Run cmd [enter]
    netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
    Follow prompts and reboot.

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 26, 2005
  9. > No I do not have any other antimalware products. In fact I just
    uninstalled MS Antispyware.

    I read your post and could not find anything that would fix problem

    I ran the cmd line, rebooted, no change

    Office Computer - Firewall Turned Off, Can access files on Bonus Computer,
    can print from Office (printer is wired to this one.)

    Bonues computer- Firewall is turned on, Cannot access files on Office,
    Cannot install or print over wireless network system

    Any thing else that you can think of?

    MLW

    =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 27, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    Malke Guest

    MLW wrote:

    >> No I do not have any other antimalware products. In fact I just

    > uninstalled MS Antispyware.
    >
    > I read your post and could not find anything that would fix problem
    >
    > I ran the cmd line, rebooted, no change
    >
    > Office Computer - Firewall Turned Off, Can access files on Bonus
    > Computer, can print from Office (printer is wired to this one.)
    >
    > Bonues computer- Firewall is turned on, Cannot access files on Office,
    > Cannot install or print over wireless network system
    >
    > Any thing else that you can think of?

    You can go through this network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
    It should pinpoint the problem areas.

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell

    Malke, Aug 27, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    David {MVP} Guest

    Just a note here, but with the firewall turn on, I believe the normal action
    is to block Microsoft File and Print sharing. That would result in the bonus
    computer being able to connect to the internet, but not being seen on the
    network, nor would the bonus computer be able to print. Either turn off the
    firewall, or modify the firewall to allow Microsoft File and print sharing.

    David {MVP}, Aug 27, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

    David {MVP} Guest

    That would be the expected behavior with a firewall enabled on the bonus
    computer and the firewall not configured to work or allow Microsoft file and
    print sharing. Also would be expected if the two computers are not getting
    their IP address from a single DHCP server. In your case I believe it may be
    do to the firewall on the bonus computer.

    David {MVP}, Aug 27, 2005
  13. I have the firewall turned off on the bonus room and the File/print sharing
    turned on. I can see the bonuse machine from the office and can see the
    office from the bonus machine. Cannot access the printer from the bonus

    =?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=, Aug 28, 2005