Wireless Expansion

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Howard, May 13, 2004.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Business is booming and I've taken over another premises two doors away from
    my existing setup, which I'm also keeping.

    My current premises has ADSL enabled and I'd like to share the network &
    internet to the new premises using wireless networking. My current location
    is all cat5 wired with an ADSL router and seperate switch. All I know about
    wireless is what I have read, so my knowledge of wireless is somewhat
    limited.

    As I understand it, the usual wireless setup is to have a central wireless
    access point and then have adapter cards or pcmcia cards in each device.
    However I think I'll need something different as initially I plan to have
    two wired networks with a wireless "bridge" between them. At some later
    stage I might get a wireless pcmcia or two for my laptops.

    Is my plan on the right track? What is the terminology of the wireless kit
    that I'll need at each end of the bridge? Can anyone provide some
    suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

    Howard.

    Howard, May 13, 2004

  2. Howard

    brundlefly Guest

    "Howard" <> wrote in message
    > Business is booming and I've taken over another premises two doors away

    from
    > my existing setup, which I'm also keeping.
    >
    > My current premises has ADSL enabled and I'd like to share the network &
    > internet to the new premises using wireless networking. My current

    location
    > is all cat5 wired with an ADSL router and seperate switch. All I know

    about
    > wireless is what I have read, so my knowledge of wireless is somewhat
    > limited.
    >
    > As I understand it, the usual wireless setup is to have a central wireless
    > access point and then have adapter cards or pcmcia cards in each device.
    > However I think I'll need something different as initially I plan to have
    > two wired networks with a wireless "bridge" between them. At some later
    > stage I might get a wireless pcmcia or two for my laptops.
    >
    > Is my plan on the right track? What is the terminology of the wireless kit
    > that I'll need at each end of the bridge? Can anyone provide some
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Howard.

    You could do that with an access point with a bridge mode like the Linksys
    WAP11 in each place

    brundlefly, May 13, 2004

  3. Howard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "brundlefly" <> wrote in

    > You could do that with an access point with a bridge mode like the
    > Linksys WAP11 in each place
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121325

    Make sure enable all the encryption you can. YES, it will be slower,
    security comes with tradeoffs.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 13, 2004
  4. Howard

    steve Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > Business is booming and I've taken over another premises two doors away from
    > my existing setup, which I'm also keeping.
    >
    > My current premises has ADSL enabled and I'd like to share the network &
    > internet to the new premises using wireless networking. My current location
    > is all cat5 wired with an ADSL router and seperate switch. All I know about
    > wireless is what I have read, so my knowledge of wireless is somewhat
    > limited.
    >
    > As I understand it, the usual wireless setup is to have a central wireless
    > access point and then have adapter cards or pcmcia cards in each device.
    > However I think I'll need something different as initially I plan to have
    > two wired networks with a wireless "bridge" between them. At some later
    > stage I might get a wireless pcmcia or two for my laptops.
    >
    > Is my plan on the right track? What is the terminology of the wireless kit
    > that I'll need at each end of the bridge? Can anyone provide some
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Howard.

    What's the distance and how many walls are there? The usual wireless
    stuff in PC stores isn't intended for more than maybe 20 metres. The DSE
    stuff I have won't work reliably within our house for much more than 15
    metres (and two interior wooden walls) - even with 7dBi di-pole antennae
    added.

    Do you have access to the roof?

    You can get some 10dBi directional antennae for cheap from DSE...and put
    one on the roof of each building. But you need to connect it to the
    wireless device and I doubt the cable would be anywhere near long enough.

    Do you have two facing windows? Or maybe put it out the front window on
    each building facing each other on a small frame? Then you have to worry
    about the weather and any restrictions your building owners may apply to
    such stuff.

    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    steve, May 13, 2004
  5. Howard

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Howard" <> wrote in message
    > Business is booming and I've taken over another premises two doors away
    > from
    > my existing setup, which I'm also keeping.
    >
    > My current premises has ADSL enabled and I'd like to share the network &
    > internet to the new premises using wireless networking. My current
    > location
    > is all cat5 wired with an ADSL router and seperate switch. All I know
    > about
    > wireless is what I have read, so my knowledge of wireless is somewhat
    > limited.

    <Snip>

    If its just 2 doors away have you considered simply stringing the CAT5 (ask
    your neighbours, they may be quite happy for you to run some wire behind the
    shops - might be cheaper/more secure than a wireless setup?

    The Hobbit, May 13, 2004
  6. Howard

    steve Guest

    brundlefly wrote:
    > You could do that with an access point with a bridge mode like the Linksys
    > WAP11 in each place
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121325

    Over what range, though. His other office is two doors away - which may
    be in another building - or just down the hall.

    The difference could be 10-50 metres....or more.

    steve, May 13, 2004
  7. Howard

    Howard Guest

    steve wrote:
    > brundlefly wrote:
    >> You could do that with an access point with a bridge mode like the
    >> Linksys WAP11 in each place
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121325

    > Over what range, though. His other office is two doors away - which
    > may be in another building - or just down the hall.
    >
    > The difference could be 10-50 metres....or more.

    Its another buiding 50 metres away.

    Howard, May 14, 2004
  8. Howard

    Howard Guest

    steve wrote:

    > What's the distance

    50m

    > and how many walls are there?

    Four, one exterior wall + one interior wall for each buiding.

    > Do you have access to the roof?

    To one roof yes, to the other no.

    > You can get some 10dBi directional antennae for cheap from DSE...and
    > put one on the roof of each building. But you need to connect it to
    > the wireless device and I doubt the cable would be anywhere near long
    > enough.

    Hmm, sounds like I need something like this.
    Would this or any aerial work if its not on the roof?

    > Do you have two facing windows?

    No.

    >Or maybe put it out the front window
    > on each building facing each other on a small frame? Then you have to
    > worry about the weather and any restrictions your building owners may
    > apply to such stuff.

    Thanks for your (and everyone else in the group's) help.

    Howard, May 14, 2004
  9. Howard

    Howard Guest

    The Hobbit wrote:

    > If its just 2 doors away have you considered simply stringing the
    > CAT5 (ask your neighbours, they may be quite happy for you to run
    > some wire behind the shops - might be cheaper/more secure than a
    > wireless setup?

    Good point. How far can cat5 be run?

    Howard, May 14, 2004
  10. Howard

    Chris Hope Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > The Hobbit wrote:
    >
    >> If its just 2 doors away have you considered simply stringing the
    >> CAT5 (ask your neighbours, they may be quite happy for you to run
    >> some wire behind the shops - might be cheaper/more secure than a
    >> wireless setup?

    > Good point. How far can cat5 be run?

    100 metres.

    Chris Hope, May 14, 2004
  11. Howard wrote:
    >>>You could do that with an access point with a bridge mode like the
    >>>Linksys WAP11 in each place
    >>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121325

    >>Over what range, though. His other office is two doors away - which
    >>may be in another building - or just down the hall.

    > Its another buiding 50 metres away.

    for ~$400 each side, you can lock it down with fairly standard
    hardware... and have exceptional link quality(kinda overkill for ~50m).

    Lynksis 802.11b WAP ~$170
    Cable, depends on length, but ~$90 seems common.
    19db Parabolic(although yagis may be better suited) ~$130

    All stuff you can source and install your self too.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  12. Howard wrote:
    > Hmm, sounds like I need something like this.
    > Would this or any aerial work if its not on the roof?

    yeah... it'd have to be line of site though(802.11 doesnt like trees
    etc)... so maybe screw a hockey stick(TV type pole) to the outside wall
    of each building.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  13. Howard wrote:
    >>If its just 2 doors away have you considered simply stringing the
    >>CAT5 (ask your neighbours, they may be quite happy for you to run
    >>some wire behind the shops - might be cheaper/more secure than a
    >>wireless setup?

    > Good point. How far can cat5 be run?

    100M at a stretch.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  14. Howard

    Weez Guest

    > Howard wrote:
    > >>If its just 2 doors away have you considered simply stringing the
    > >>CAT5 (ask your neighbours, they may be quite happy for you to run
    > >>some wire behind the shops - might be cheaper/more secure than a
    > >>wireless setup?

    > > Good point. How far can cat5 be run?

    > 100M at a stretch.

    probably the most inexpensive and secure option

    Weez, May 14, 2004
  15. Weez wrote:
    >>>Good point. How far can cat5 be run?

    >>100M at a stretch.

    > probably the most inexpensive and secure option

    indeed...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  16. Howard

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Over what range, though. His other office is two doors away - which
    >>> may be in another building - or just down the hall.

    >> Its another buiding 50 metres away.

    > for ~$400 each side, you can lock it down with fairly standard
    > hardware... and have exceptional link quality(kinda overkill for ~50m).
    >
    > Lynksis 802.11b WAP ~$170
    > Cable, depends on length, but ~$90 seems common.
    > 19db Parabolic(although yagis may be better suited) ~$130

    At what point do you not want to be sitting next to these antennae? :)

    steve, May 14, 2004
  17. Howard

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, sounds like I need something like this.
    >> Would this or any aerial work if its not on the roof?

    > yeah... it'd have to be line of site though(802.11 doesnt like trees
    > etc)... so maybe screw a hockey stick(TV type pole) to the outside wall
    > of each building.

    Good suggestion.

    The 10dBi antennae have a 56 degree directional breadth (wrong
    word.....but).

    They will likely work thorugh a wall or two....but then what anyone else
    is doing within those walls becomes relevant.

    Clear air is better.

    steve, May 14, 2004
  18. steve wrote:

    >>> Its another buiding 50 metres away.

    >> for ~$400 each side, you can lock it down with fairly standard
    >> hardware... and have exceptional link quality(kinda overkill for ~50m).
    >> Lynksis 802.11b WAP ~$170
    >> Cable, depends on length, but ~$90 seems common.
    >> 19db Parabolic(although yagis may be better suited) ~$130

    > At what point do you not want to be sitting next to these antennae? :)

    ummm I sit next to one at home, but ummm it doesnt bother me, however
    the microwave oven makes my tongue tingle... quite odd. :)

    the 19db dishes are kinda overkill... you could probably get away with
    some 5 or 7 db antenae...

    Hell, maybe even some 802.11G APs locked down to B speeds.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  19. steve wrote:
    >> yeah... it'd have to be line of site though(802.11 doesnt like trees
    >> etc)... so maybe screw a hockey stick(TV type pole) to the outside
    >> wall of each building.

    > Good suggestion.

    thanks.

    > The 10dBi antennae have a 56 degree directional breadth (wrong
    > word.....but).

    56 degree signal spread???

    > They will likely work thorugh a wall or two....but then what anyone else
    > is doing within those walls becomes relevant.

    indeed, I found that when I walk infront of a normal antenna(those pissy
    little 5cm things) the signal drops to nothing, with the 7 db ones, it
    halves it, Im ~40cm through, so thats like two of my workmates. so
    you'ld be fine with two people walking between the APs :)

    > Clear air is better.

    heaps better.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  20. Howard

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:14:31 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >>>100M at a stretch.

    >> probably the most inexpensive and secure option

    >indeed...

    Haven't others said here before that you shouldn't run cat5 networks between
    buildings because of the risks from the seperate power supply in the different
    buildings?

    Perhaps fibre is an option?

    Craig Shore, May 14, 2004