    connect it to the ADSL2+ with ethernet cable. Will it always default to the
    faster connection, or do I have to specifically disconnect the wireless
    connection to ensure I'm getting the faster speed when I'm at my desk?

    Karl Engel, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Karl Engel

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Karl Engel wrote:
    > I have a 54Mbs wireless PCMCIA card in my laptop but when I'm at my desk
    > connect it to the ADSL2+ with ethernet cable. Will it always default to the
    > faster connection, or do I have to specifically disconnect the wireless
    > connection to ensure I'm getting the faster speed when I'm at my desk?

    What's 54mbs on a wireless NIC have to do with a 10, 100 or 10/100 wire
    NIC running in half or full duplex mode and speed between them?

    If you're concerned about it, then disable one or the other through the
    O/S if you have the rights on the O/S to do so.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Karl Engel

    Karl Engel Guest

    I'm asking whether it's necessary to disable the wireless for the computer
    to use the ethernet internet connection once that is connected.

    Obviously I can disconnect the slower one if I'm "concerned", but I'm asking
    if that's necessary. It's quicker not to if the computer will automatically
    use the ethernet connection once it's in.

    How does one know which internet connection the computer's using when both
    say Connected under Network Connections? I'm assuming it can't be using
    both, but is it?

    Karl Engel, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Karl Engel

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Karl Engel wrote:
    > I'm asking whether it's necessary to disable the wireless for the computer
    > to use the ethernet internet connection once that is connected.
    >
    > Obviously I can disconnect the slower one if I'm "concerned", but I'm asking
    > if that's necessary. It's quicker not to if the computer will automatically
    > use the ethernet connection once it's in.
    >
    > How does one know which internet connection the computer's using when both
    > say Connected under Network Connections? I'm assuming it can't be using
    > both, but is it?

    No it's not working both. On my wire/wireless laptop using XP, I don't
    ever recall it showing such an indication. It can only be using one or
    the other with one showing as sending and receiving traffic. However, I
    just disabled one or the other by right-clicking the icon for the
    connection I was not using and went on about my business.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 4, 2006
  5. Karl Engel

    pcbutts1 Guest