Wireless Ethernet Bridge trouble

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Satch, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. Satch

    Satch Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to connect a PC to my wireless network using a wireless
    ethernet bridge. I've got a wireless ADSL router, another PC connected
    via a wireless PCI card, and a laptop with wireless capabilities, all
    connected to the wireless network.

    When I configure the wireless ethernet bridge on the second PC, after a
    short while I get an IP address conflict and access to the internet
    tends to go down.

    I'm using the setting which automatically assigns IP addresses, so I
    don't know what to do next. Any traps for young players that I should
    watch out for? Also are there any good step by step guides out there
    which show how to set up a network like mine?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Satch.

    View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=38728
    http://www.wirelessforums.org
    Satch, Feb 14, 2008

  2. Satch

    Al Guest

    "Satch" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to connect a PC to my wireless network using a wireless
    > ethernet bridge. I've got a wireless ADSL router, another PC connected
    > via a wireless PCI card, and a laptop with wireless capabilities, all
    > connected to the wireless network.
    >
    > When I configure the wireless ethernet bridge on the second PC, after a
    > short while I get an IP address conflict and access to the internet
    > tends to go down.
    >
    > I'm using the setting which automatically assigns IP addresses, so I
    > don't know what to do next. Any traps for young players that I should
    > watch out for? Also are there any good step by step guides out there
    > which show how to set up a network like mine?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    You don't say what kit you are using but from the description I would say
    that you have 2 devices issuing an IP address via DHCP.
    Make sure only one device is sending DHCP

    Alastair
    Al, Feb 14, 2008

  3. On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 04:30:30 -0500, Satch
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to connect a PC to my wireless network using a wireless
    >ethernet bridge. I've got a wireless ADSL router, another PC connected
    >via a wireless PCI card, and a laptop with wireless capabilities, all
    >connected to the wireless network.
    >
    >When I configure the wireless ethernet bridge on the second PC, after a
    >short while I get an IP address conflict and access to the internet
    >tends to go down.
    >
    >I'm using the setting which automatically assigns IP addresses, so I
    >don't know what to do next. Any traps for young players that I should
    >watch out for? Also are there any good step by step guides out there
    >which show how to set up a network like mine?

    Without knowing the kit it is hard to say what the problem is. Why
    a bridge? Why not just use a USB WiFi dongle on the second PC?

    Note that very few Access Points can run in bridge mode at the same
    time as normal Infrastructure mode. I know some Asus units will do
    this, but many others I checked could not.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Feb 14, 2008