    so i went to the networks connection page, but i cant see a wireless icon
    does that mean it isnt enabled?
    and if thats so, how would i get it wireless enabled?
    francesca13, Apr 8, 2009

  2. On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:15:49 +0100, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >"francesca13" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi guys,
    >> this is probably a really stupid question, but i'm a bit of a technical
    >> idiot...
    >> i'm trying to work out whether my dad's windows xp is wireless enabled
    >> so i went to the networks connection page, but i cant see a wireless icon
    >> does that mean it isnt enabled?
    >> and if thats so, how would i get it wireless enabled?

    >Not necessarily.
    >Right-click on My Computer, select Properties and go to Device Manager (on
    >the Hardware tab IIRC - not on XP at the moment)
    >Look under Network Adapters.
    >If you have a wireless card installed it will show.

    And, if it's a laptop computer, check the User's Manual to see if the
    computer has a switch that turns a built-in wireless network adapter
    on or off.
    --
    Best Wishes,
    Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd, Apr 8, 2009

  3. francesca13

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Apr 8, 2009
  4. francesca13

    Pavel A. Guest

    > Hi guys,
    > this is probably a really stupid question, but i'm a bit of a technical
    > idiot...
    > i'm trying to work out whether my dad's windows xp is wireless enabled
    > so i went to the networks connection page, but i cant see a wireless icon
    > does that mean it isnt enabled?
    > and if thats so, how would i get it wireless enabled?

    Is there any doubt at all? Some models are built with the
    wireless as option: these may have indicators, switches,
    antenna connectors etc, but the wi-fi module is not installed.
    Check with the seller.
    ( hope the tech personnel in computer stores aren't technical idiots,
    but anything may happen these funny days... )

    Or, you may have a cellular wireless. This won't appear in the
    network connections page. Or, it is broken.
    Again, check with the vendor.

    Regards,
    -- pa
    Pavel A., Apr 8, 2009