    Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating situation.

    Thank you.

    JLOB
    John O'Boyle, Feb 9, 2009

  2. John O'Boyle

    John Guest

    "John O'Boyle" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there some communications software that I need to install on my system
    > in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can see the
    > wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot connect.

    What happens when you connect (double click the wifi network name)? What
    operating system are you using? What wireless card is in your Sony notebook?
    John, Feb 9, 2009

  3. John O'Boyle

    Lem Guest

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > I have a small Sony notebook computer that my wife and I use exclusively
    > when we're traveling. We've never had a problem with wireless
    > connections in any of the hotels, or in fact friends and relatives homes
    > in which we stayed, wherein they used cable modems. We have, however,
    > had absolutely zero success in those homes where broadband is provided
    > via DSL.
    >
    > Is there some communications software that I need to install on my
    > system in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can
    > see the wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot
    > connect. In some instances, I know I'm supposed to have an opportunity
    > to provide the Wep or WPA key, but that dialogue never appears.
    >
    > Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating situation.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > JLOB

    How your friends get broadband is not relevant. What is relevant is how
    they have configured their wireless routers.

    Without more information describing what happens at the locations where
    you can't connect, I can only guess -- and I guess that several of your
    friends didn't bother to change the name of their wireless network from
    the router's default (e.g., Linksys or Netgear).

    The first time you connect to a wireless network, its password (or lack
    thereof) is stored by WinXP unless you manually delete that network from
    the list of "preferred networks." Thus, if friend 1 (with a cable
    connection) had a wireless network with the SSID "Linksys" and a
    password of "George", when you are at friend 2's house (with a DSL
    connection), if friend 2 also left his network SSID at "Linksys",
    Windows will attempt to connect to it using "George" as the password --
    Windows can't tell that you're in a different town.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Feb 9, 2009
  4. Hi
    In general (as Lem said above) it should not matter whether the Wireless is
    connecting to a Wireless Router/Access Point that receives its Internet
    signal from DSL or Cable if they are configured correctly. However while
    Cable Internet would not work if the Wireless Router is Not configured
    correctly DSL might.
    DSL authentication is usually done via ID and Password. Correct
    configuration means that the ID and password are keyed into the Router and
    the Router does the authentication. If your friends did not configure
    correctly the Wireless Router and they are using their computers for
    authentication you can not log in.
    These two pages describe the actual issue.
    Cable Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    DSL Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 9, 2009
  5. John O'Boyle

    John O'Boyle Guest

    "using their computers for authentication you can not log in." This is
    probably the situation. At one stop, a cousins home, I tried first
    hooking up my portable Linksys Wireless Router, with no joy.
    Thereafter, I cabled directly to the modem, again with zero results. My
    guess is that they just don't KNOW what (or where) their authentication
    details are.

    Thanks for your help though. I'll study the two examples and see if I
    can solve this the next time I have the problem.

    JLOB

    John O'Boyle, Feb 10, 2009
  6. Hi
    It is Not as simple as just bringing a portable Router.
    The way the Router is Configured depend on the hardware that is originally
    installed for Internet purposes, and how the authentication is done.
    Unless you have all the info correct it will not work.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 10, 2009
  7. John O'Boyle

    John O'Boyle Guest

    So I discovered! And in each of the situations, I'm dealing with people
    who are less than network-literate, and only care THAT it works, not
    how! Thanks again.

    J.

    John O'Boyle, Feb 10, 2009
  8. John O'Boyle

    random Guest

    Cable uses MTU of 1500, DSL uses usually 1492. Change your MTU. The End.

    random, Feb 11, 2009
  9. John O'Boyle

    David B. Guest

    That would be 95% of the computing public.

    David B., Feb 11, 2009