wireless dropping after stable connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Stefan_cross, Dec 27, 2008.

  1. Stefan_cross

    Stefan_cross Guest

    Hi all,

    I wonder if any of you can help?

    My father has a dell lattitude laptop, with in-built wireless card,
    connecting to WEP protected BT Voyager 2xxx router. He also has Win XP SP2.

    He has had no trouble for 12 months, and yet recently (without any change to
    environment or software) his laptop loses connection to the router after
    about 5-10 minutes of booting up. "limited or no connectivity" appears even
    though signal strength is high and wireless client suggests everything is
    still connected OK, but internet connection is lost. No amount of trying to
    connect manually re-establishes the connection. Only rebooting seems to
    help. My laptop connects fine, and is stable, so no problems with broadband
    or router.

    WZC is disabled (services.msc) as the dell wireless client is managing the
    connections. There also seems to be a BT broadband client involved as well,
    but this doesn't appear to be conflicting as I have tried deleting all
    wireless profiles, and starting again from scratch, with each utility step by
    step, but this doesn't work either. I have even tried just allowing WZC to
    control the show, as I have never personally had any issues with this method.

    Any ideas?? I have browsed the news groups, and whilst there seems to be a
    few suggestions none appear to be applicable to this specific situation.

    Many thanks,

    Stefan.
    Stefan_cross, Dec 27, 2008

  2. It is recommended to use WZC instead of dell wireless software. You may also
    want to check if there is a new driver for the wireless card.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Dec 27, 2008

  3. Hi
    There is a possibility that an Electrical noise was introduce to your
    environment and it affects your transmission.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Try to change the transmission channels in the Wireless Router and choose
    the one that offers the best performance.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 27, 2008