Wireless disconect problem with 3 other wireless networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a client that I setup on wireless a few years back. All clients
    (approx 5)are running xp SP1 and I am using a recently installed WAP54G
    Linksys to try and solve the problem. They have been just fine until the
    last few months. I now see that there are 3 other Wireless lans in the
    building. 2 have no security and the third has encryption. I have tried
    all of the options that are available. i.e. preferred networks, no check
    mark on the 802.11 box. My channel is 11. My broadcast is turned on and I
    am running 64 bit WEP. The signal strength varies from no signal to full
    strength over the course of 10 -15 minutes. I am assuming that the extra
    networks that are running are conflicting with my network.

    I am hoping that by installing another WAP54G in the repeater mode (and
    placing close to my csutomers) this will help the signal and solve the
    problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

    TIA

    John

    John, Jun 23, 2004

  2. For 802.11g, there are 3 channels available for use, and as you have
    discovered and concluded, your problem is most probably being caused by
    interference. Putting a repeater near the clients might help, but on the
    other hand, might just end up increasing the RF noise. I would say that your
    best bet would be to place the two interfering APs (there can only be two
    of them since there are 3 available channels and you have 4 APs) out of each
    other's range.

    Rajiv

    Rajiv P. Bharadwaja [MSFT], Jun 23, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thanks I appreciate the the additional input to help reconfirm.

    John

    "Rajiv P. Bharadwaja [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > For 802.11g, there are 3 channels available for use, and as you have
    > discovered and concluded, your problem is most probably being caused by
    > interference. Putting a repeater near the clients might help, but on the
    > other hand, might just end up increasing the RF noise. I would say that

    your
    > best bet would be to place the two interfering APs (there can only be two
    > of them since there are 3 available channels and you have 4 APs) out of

    each
    > other's range.
    >
    > Rajiv

    rights.