    Thank you in advance for any help.
    --
    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Jun 13, 2005

  2. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a notebook running XP Home. I have no need for a local network
    >since
    > I am the only user. However I would like to connect to the Internet via
    > dialup/wireless as I use my laptop all over my home.
    >
    > Can I purchase a wireless PCI card and use Windows 'Internet Connection
    > Sharing' to access the internet via dial-up? (No DSL in my neighborhood)
    >
    > If this is possible could you also be so kind as to tell me a little bit
    > about exactly how I would set it up? Are there particular wireless PCI
    > cards
    > I should look for?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    > --
    > Steve

    PCI cards don't fit in notebooks. You'd need a PCMCIA card or USB dongle.

    You could also use your cell phone as a modem for dialup-- but unless you
    have a mighty big bucket of minutes, that would get expensive in a hurry.

    Why not get cable broadband?

    Doc

    J.H. Holliday, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Maybe there is no cable broadband service in his neighborhood or town. Not everyone has access to
    broadband...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 13, 2005
  4. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > Maybe there is no cable broadband service in his neighborhood or town. Not
    > everyone has access to broadband...

    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Maybe not in Oklahoma....but in the rest of the civilized world, they
    generally do;-)

    And why do you always top-post? I'd think an MVP would know better!

    Doc

    J.H. Holliday, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Personally I see nothing wrong with top posting...

    Well, many rural areas in many states simply do not have broadband access. That even extends to some
    cities and towns. You simply can not assume that everyone has access to broadband or has the ability
    to pay for broadband even if they could get it or even wants broadband for whatever reason.

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 13, 2005
  6. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > Personally I see nothing wrong with top posting...

    I can see that-- it's clear that you don't.

    But the convention is to bottom post. Top posting makes a long thread about
    impossible to follow. But I guess if what you have to contribute is
    irrelevant , wrong or silly, it doesn't really matter.

    Top posters remind me of adolescent guys who meet someone and shake with
    their left hand, wear brown socks with a blue suit or eat their dessert
    before their entree--- sure signs of residual rebellion against daddy;-)

    Doc

    J.H. Holliday, Jun 13, 2005
  7. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >I have a notebook running XP Home. I have no need for a local network
    >since
    > I am the only user. However I would like to connect to the Internet via
    > dialup/wireless as I use my laptop all over my home.
    >
    > Can I purchase a wireless PCI card and use Windows 'Internet Connection
    > Sharing' to access the internet via dial-up? (No DSL in my neighborhood)
    >
    > If this is possible could you also be so kind as to tell me a little bit
    > about exactly how I would set it up? Are there particular wireless PCI
    > cards
    > I should look for?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    > --
    > Steve

    Add Wireless Internet Anywhere, Instantly -
    Even on Dialup!

    http://www.wiflyer.com/StoreFront.bok

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail

    HillBillyBuddhist, Jun 13, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Look at the second option in this page: http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Jun 14, 2005
  9. Thank you Jack (MVP) and HillBilly Buddhist. I found you responses helpful.

    I do not know if I am bottom posting or top posting as I have only used this
    format twice before. So even though I found the other responses entertaining
    they didn't help with my question except for the first one.

    It appears I really need to study the posting rules/format/etiquette before
    posting again.

    Thank you again for your time and help, it is really appreciated by people
    like myself that just do not know as much as they need to. I feel getting
    quick guidance from knowledgable (experts) is an invaluable tool.

    Regards
    --
    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Jun 14, 2005
  10. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    | Thank you Jack (MVP) and HillBilly Buddhist. I found you responses
    helpful.

    | I do not know if I am bottom posting or top posting as I have only used
    this
    | format twice before. So even though I found the other responses
    entertaining
    | they didn't help with my question except for the first one.
    |
    | It appears I really need to study the posting rules/format/etiquette
    before
    | posting again.
    |
    | Thank you again for your time and help, it is really appreciated by people
    | like myself that just do not know as much as they need to. I feel getting
    | quick guidance from knowledgable (experts) is an invaluable tool.
    |
    | Regards
    | --
    | Steve

    Your welcome.

    Don't worry about the self appointed room group moderators.

    While it's true that there are form and etiquette specifically applicable to
    Usenet posting, most of them are common sense "golden rule" guidelines one
    would be expected to observe in polite society IRL as well as online.

    The top/bottom posting debate began, I'm sure, shortly after the third
    Usenet post and continues to this day. For every individual that thinks one
    is correct there is another that disagrees. I've seen debates on the subject
    go into hundreds of posts on threads that last weeks and usually degrade
    into trading of disparaging comments regarding various (often maternal)
    family members. :)

    Personally I could care less as long as the post is polite, on topic,
    concise and punctuated at least to a degree that makes it reasonably
    readable. If I don't like a post for any reason I simply move on. I'm
    responsible for teaching my children manners not Newsgroup posters.

    You might find this useful. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm (Yours was
    fine BTW)

    --
    Doug

    P.S. This is a bottom post. If it appeared above your text it would be a top
    post.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Jun 14, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    DanR Guest

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Thank you Jack (MVP) and HillBilly Buddhist. I found you responses helpful.
    >>
    >> I do not know if I am bottom posting or top posting as I have only used this
    >> format twice before. So even though I found the other responses entertaining
    >> they didn't help with my question except for the first one.
    >>
    >> It appears I really need to study the posting rules/format/etiquette before
    >> posting again.
    >>
    >> Thank you again for your time and help, it is really appreciated by people
    >> like myself that just do not know as much as they need to. I feel getting
    >> quick guidance from knowledgable (experts) is an invaluable tool.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> --
    >> Steve

    > Your welcome.
    >
    > Don't worry about the self appointed room group moderators.
    >
    > While it's true that there are form and etiquette specifically applicable to
    > Usenet posting, most of them are common sense "golden rule" guidelines one
    > would be expected to observe in polite society IRL as well as online.
    >
    > The top/bottom posting debate began, I'm sure, shortly after the third
    > Usenet post and continues to this day. For every individual that thinks one
    > is correct there is another that disagrees. I've seen debates on the subject
    > go into hundreds of posts on threads that last weeks and usually degrade
    > into trading of disparaging comments regarding various (often maternal)
    > family members. :)
    >
    > Personally I could care less as long as the post is polite, on topic,
    > concise and punctuated at least to a degree that makes it reasonably
    > readable. If I don't like a post for any reason I simply move on. I'm
    > responsible for teaching my children manners not Newsgroup posters.
    >
    > You might find this useful. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm (Yours was
    > fine BTW)

    Top / Bottom... It can get confusing when there are top and bottom posts within
    a thread. I think it best to continue the method chosen by first responder.

    DanR, Jun 18, 2005