Wireless DHCP Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueUg=?=, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    I have installed many wireless networks but never seen the problem described
    below before.

    A friend's desktop is running XP with SP2. I have configured a Netgear
    wireless router that connects to the Internet and works just fine. I
    configured the wireless settings on the router and his PC and the PC connects
    to the wireless network fine using WEP but his PC just cannot obtain an IP
    address using DHCP. It works when I use an Ethernet cable.

    My laptop gets and IP address from the same Netgear router AOK.

    I installed a different PCI wireless adapter in his PC and get the same
    problem. I disabled ALL firewalls he had running.

    If I configure a static IP address in his PC I cannot ping the wireless
    router over the wireless network.

    All PCI drivers are installed correctly with no conflicts etc.

    Could this be a NDIS driver problem?

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Tony

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueUg=?=, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Have fixed the problem. For those having the same issue try the
    following........

    Type in Start -> Run -> Command

    Type in 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt'

    Restart the computer.

    Type in Start -> Run

    Type in 'services.msc'

    Find DHCP Client and double click it

    Stop the service and restart the computer. Make sure the startup type is set
    to Automatic.

    On the wireless router select WPA encryption and enter a PSK key.

    On the PC using Windows wireless config utility select WPA PSK and enter the
    same key under TKIP.

    All now works fine. The PC acquires and address using DHCP and the network
    is fine.

    Tony

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBI?=, Jan 24, 2006

  3. How do I come up with a PSK key?
    --
    lrytim

    =?Utf-8?B?bHJ5dGlt?=, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Microsoft says it is a problem with Windows XP Based computers using Service
    Pack 2 And If it is not too much of a problem to wait for the next service
    pack. I have had the same problem with 3 different wireless routers. The
    Network connectivity is lost when you use DHCP to configure IP settings. I
    have been trying to call Microsoft for a hot fix , but as for now no reply
    from them ..

    =?Utf-8?B?d3Jj?=, Mar 28, 2007