wireless desktop problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Marful, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Marful

    Marful Guest

    Hi All,

    I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.

    The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond. I
    tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
    interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2 keyboard
    and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the weirdest
    thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
    batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
    low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.

    Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
    not recognising any mouse as being installed.

    Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.

    Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

    Marful, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Marful

    old man Guest

    http://www.labtec.com/index.cfm/service/listing/EUR/EN,crid=68,crid2=1763
    Looked in Control Panel for the mouse icon/properties?

    old man, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Marful

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 +0000, Marful wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
    >
    > The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond. I
    > tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
    > interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2 keyboard
    > and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the weirdest
    > thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
    > batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
    > low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
    >
    > Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
    > not recognising any mouse as being installed.
    >
    > Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    > locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

    Buy Logitech

    Meat Plow, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.labtec.com/index.cfm/service/listing/EUR/EN,crid=68,crid2=1763
    > Looked in Control Panel for the mouse icon/properties?

    I looked in control panel and XP is not seeing any h/w. I tried intalling
    the driver at the above link but no joy there either. I also found the
    drivers on the disk but when I tried to use the win add hardware wizard it
    wouldn't give me the option to add a mouse and won't let me directly install
    drivers from the .inf or .sys file itself

    Thanks

    Marful, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 +0000, Marful wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
    >>
    >> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not
    >> respond. I
    >> tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
    >> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2
    >> keyboard
    >> and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the
    >> weirdest
    >> thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
    >> batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
    >> low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
    >>
    >> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
    >> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
    >>
    >> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    >> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

    > Buy Logitech

    Probably in future but can't return the item so I'm stuck with it.

    Marful, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Marful

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:58:39 +0000, Marful wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 +0000, Marful wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
    >>>
    >>> The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not
    >>> respond. I
    >>> tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
    >>> interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2
    >>> keyboard
    >>> and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But the
    >>> weirdest
    >>> thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when I take the
    >>> batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the batteries are
    >>> low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
    >>>
    >>> Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
    >>> not recognising any mouse as being installed.
    >>>
    >>> Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    >>> locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,

    >> Buy Logitech
    >> --
    >>
    >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

    > Probably in future but can't return the item so I'm stuck with it.

    I prefer Logitech. I have wireless combos on 98, Linux, Server 2003, W2K,
    XP and never had a problem with them. I don't even install the Logitech
    software, just use the Windows or Linux HIB compliant drivers.

    Meat Plow, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Marful

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 GMT, "Marful" <>
    wrote:

    >Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    >locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.

    Some drivers only install via a SETUP program, rather than by pointing
    the Add new hardware wizard to a certain directory on the CD. Not sure
    if this is the case here but it's a possibility you should check.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Mar 4, 2006
  8. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:09:03 GMT, "Marful" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    >>locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.

    > Some drivers only install via a SETUP program, rather than by pointing
    > the Add new hardware wizard to a certain directory on the CD. Not sure
    > if this is the case here but it's a possibility you should check.
    >
    > jd

    Yeah I ran the set-up program but to no avail - XP still will not recognise
    that a mouse is present. It's a windows detection error - I'll contact
    Microsoft to see if they have any ideas - Labtec tech support sent me an
    email back on a solution for a logitech wireless mouse!!

    Marful, Mar 4, 2006
  9. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "Marful" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was attaching my wireless desktop (Labtec) and my mouse won't work.
    >
    > The keyboard works without a problem, but the mouse just does not respond.
    > I tried it on my win98 PC and both function fine, so it's not a case of
    > interference or faulty h/w I believe. On my new PC a standard PS/2
    > keyboard and mouse work without problems, so not a port prob either. But
    > the weirdest thing is that with the manufacturers software installed when
    > I take the batteries out of the mouse I get an error message that the
    > batteries are low. So obviously it is connected to the receiver.
    >
    > Labtec suggest uninstalling any other mouse software, but windows (XP) is
    > not recognising any mouse as being installed.
    >
    > Could it be a driver issue - the supplied CD is a bit rubbish and I can't
    > locate drivers on it and Labtec's website is not much better.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated - ta in advance,
    >

    >I've just discovered this morning - don't know why I didn't trry it
    >before - that the mouse will also work if a standard PS/2 keyboard is
    >plugged in.

    That is to say each device will function independently but not together.

    I thought it may be a power problem but tried a higher rated PSU and they
    still don't function together.

    Marful, Mar 5, 2006
  10. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "Marful" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,

    Solved it - in case anyone else has a similar problem I needed to disable
    USB legacy support in BIOS.
    Simple eh!

    Cheers for the suggestions!

    Marful, Mar 6, 2006
  11. Marful

    Dingus Guest

    "Marful" <> wrote in message

    > "Marful" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>

    > Solved it - in case anyone else has a similar problem I needed to disable
    > USB legacy support in BIOS.
    > Simple eh!
    >
    > Cheers for the suggestions!

    BTW, did you come to the resolution by trial and error or locate some help
    from website,newsgroups...?

    Dingus, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Marful

    Marful Guest

    "Dingus" <> wrote in message

    > "Marful" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Marful" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>

    >> Solved it - in case anyone else has a similar problem I needed to disable
    >> USB legacy support in BIOS.
    >> Simple eh!
    >>
    >> Cheers for the suggestions!
    >>

    > BTW, did you come to the resolution by trial and error or locate some help
    > from website,newsgroups...?

    sort of half and half - I read a post wherby a fix was suggested for a USB
    kb and mouse and USB legacy had to be ON - so I thought how about disabling
    it - not really knowing if it would work or not but totally sick of the
    thoughts of my brand new PC with a dirty old KB after spending the dough on
    a new wireless model!

    Marful, Mar 10, 2006