    gadgets, but I don't know anything about their pros and cons.
    Suggestions welcomed.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Mar 2, 2009

  2. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > My current setup has:
    >
    > ADSL modem ---- Hub --- Box1
    > \
    > Box2
    >
    > with wired connections, which is fine because both machines are in the
    > same room. I now want to have the two computers in rooms that are about
    > 10m apart on different floors, and running a network cable is not
    > feasible. These are not the latest technology - 1.8 GHz P4. One
    > currently has no spare USB sockets, but I think I could add a PCI USB
    > card if necessary.
    >
    > I'm wondering what is the best value wireless option. DSE has various
    > gadgets, but I don't know anything about their pros and cons.
    > Suggestions welcomed.

    Ignore wireless and get one or another of the ethernet over power
    solutions. See below for an example.

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Networking/auction-205838379.htm
    EMB, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> My current setup has:
    >>
    >> ADSL modem ---- Hub --- Box1
    >> \
    >> \
    >> Box2
    >>
    >> with wired connections, which is fine because both machines are in the
    >> same room. I now want to have the two computers in rooms that are
    >> about 10m apart on different floors, and running a network cable is
    >> not feasible. These are not the latest technology - 1.8 GHz P4. One
    >> currently has no spare USB sockets, but I think I could add a PCI USB
    >> card if necessary.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering what is the best value wireless option. DSE has various
    >> gadgets, but I don't know anything about their pros and cons.
    >> Suggestions welcomed.

    > Ignore wireless and get one or another of the ethernet over power
    > solutions. See below for an example.
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Networking/auction-205838379.htm

    Eeeewww! A recipe for fried newbies if ever I heard one! When I was at
    Uni someone ran a 'radio station' over the power cables in one of the
    Halls. It basically pumped the music over the earth and neutral wires.
    All the listener had to do was plug his speaker into the earth and
    neutral and he got music, albeit with a horrendous 50 cycle hum. That
    went OK until someone got it wrong and nearly killed themselves.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 2, 2009
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> My current setup has:
    >>
    >> ADSL modem ---- Hub --- Box1
    >> \
    >> \
    >> Box2
    >>
    >> with wired connections, which is fine because both machines are in the
    >> same room. I now want to have the two computers in rooms that are
    >> about 10m apart on different floors, and running a network cable is
    >> not feasible. These are not the latest technology - 1.8 GHz P4. One
    >> currently has no spare USB sockets, but I think I could add a PCI USB
    >> card if necessary.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering what is the best value wireless option. DSE has various
    >> gadgets, but I don't know anything about their pros and cons.
    >> Suggestions welcomed.

    > Ignore wireless and get one or another of the ethernet over power
    > solutions. See below for an example.
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Networking/auction-205838379.htm

    Do you use this yourself?
    Gib Bogle, Mar 2, 2009
  5. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Networking/auction-205838379.htm
    >>

    > Do you use this yourself?

    Yes - I have a couple of them. One I use from time to time for getting
    network temporarily to areas of the house where there is no cabling.
    The other I use to connect my father's study to the network in his house
    over a 50m distance. They work well in both applications - the only
    problems I have ever had have been in industrial situations where there
    is a lot of back-EMF noise on the power circuits from large machinery.
    EMB, Mar 2, 2009
  6. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:

    >> I'm wondering what is the best value wireless option. DSE has various
    >> gadgets, but I don't know anything about their pros and cons.
    >> Suggestions welcomed.

    > Ignore wireless and get one or another of the ethernet over power
    > solutions. See below for an example.
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Networking/auction-205838379.htm

    Problems between circuits and no go between phases make those a
    crapshoot if it will work in any given situation.
    Richard, Mar 2, 2009
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > My current setup has:
    >
    > ADSL modem ---- Hub --- Box1
    > \
    > \
    > Box2
    >
    > with wired connections, which is fine because both machines are in the
    > same room. I now want to have the two computers in rooms that are about
    > 10m apart on different floors, and running a network cable is not
    > feasible. These are not the latest technology - 1.8 GHz P4. One
    > currently has no spare USB sockets, but I think I could add a PCI USB
    > card if necessary.
    >
    > I'm wondering what is the best value wireless option. DSE has various
    > gadgets, but I don't know anything about their pros and cons.
    > Suggestions welcomed.
    >
    > Gib

    I've checked out a few options and it looks as if it makes sense to get a combination ADSL
    modem/switch/WAP. There are many that look roughly equivalent, priced (at the cheapest) between
    $110 and $130. Here are a few:

    Netgear DG834G
    ASUS WL-AM604g
    D-Link DSL-G604T
    Linksys WAG200G

    My main concern is that the device will have enough power to communicate from upstairs to
    downstairs, but it seems to be hard to get info about the range, presumably because it depends very
    much on the geometry and materials of the house. Can anyone comment on the relative range of these
    devices? I'm leaning towards the WAG200G.
    Gib Bogle, Mar 3, 2009
  8. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > My main concern is that the device will have enough power to communicate
    > from upstairs to downstairs, but it seems to be hard to get info about
    > the range, presumably because it depends very much on the geometry and
    > materials of the house. Can anyone comment on the relative range of
    > these devices?

    It's really a total lucky dip based on the building. I get 30m
    horizontally and 1 floor down (precast concrete floor about 300mm thick)
    at work with a cheap DSE WAP. But an identical WAP struggles over 1
    level and 8m in my boss' wooden floored house.
    EMB, Mar 3, 2009
  9. Gib Bogle

    J Brockley Guest

    > I've checked out a few options and it looks as if it makes sense to get a
    > combination ADSL modem/switch/WAP. There are many that look roughly
    > equivalent, priced (at the cheapest) between $110 and $130. Here are a
    > few:
    >
    > Netgear DG834G
    > ASUS WL-AM604g
    > D-Link DSL-G604T
    > Linksys WAG200G
    >
    > My main concern is that the device will have enough power to communicate
    > from upstairs to downstairs, but it seems to be hard to get info about the
    > range, presumably because it depends very much on the geometry and
    > materials of the house. Can anyone comment on the relative range of these
    > devices? I'm leaning towards the WAG200G.

    I had a friend where downstairs room was single storey part of house with
    tin roof. In that case device had to sit on upstairs floor presumably to
    allow signal to get under roof.

    I have a WAG200 but no upstairs but I checked it out a bit. Going outside, 3
    walls (1 brick) and ~30m signal dropped to 2 bars and speed to 11meg. At 2
    walls (1 brick) and around 20m it was back to full strength. Within the
    house always seems to be full strength.
    J Brockley, Mar 3, 2009
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    J Brockley wrote:

    >> I've checked out a few options and it looks as if it makes sense to
    >> get a combination ADSL modem/switch/WAP. There are many that look
    >> roughly equivalent, priced (at the cheapest) between $110 and $130.
    >> Here are a few:
    >>
    >> Netgear DG834G
    >> ASUS WL-AM604g
    >> D-Link DSL-G604T
    >> Linksys WAG200G
    >>
    >> My main concern is that the device will have enough power to
    >> communicate from upstairs to downstairs, but it seems to be hard to
    >> get info about the range, presumably because it depends very much on
    >> the geometry and materials of the house. Can anyone comment on the
    >> relative range of these devices? I'm leaning towards the WAG200G.

    > I had a friend where downstairs room was single storey part of house
    > with tin roof. In that case device had to sit on upstairs floor
    > presumably to allow signal to get under roof.
    >
    > I have a WAG200 but no upstairs but I checked it out a bit. Going
    > outside, 3 walls (1 brick) and ~30m signal dropped to 2 bars and speed
    > to 11meg. At 2 walls (1 brick) and around 20m it was back to full
    > strength. Within the house always seems to be full strength.

    Thanks, I've decided to go with the WAG200G.
    Gib Bogle, Mar 4, 2009
  11. In message <gokspc$soe$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Thanks, I've decided to go with the WAG200G.

    This guy <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23548/1141/> has been less than
    impressed with Linksys.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2009
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gokspc$soe$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, I've decided to go with the WAG200G.

    > This guy <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23548/1141/> has been less than
    > impressed with Linksys.

    Now you tell me.
    Gib Bogle, Mar 4, 2009
  13. Gib Bogle

    J Brockley Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <gokspc$soe$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks, I've decided to go with the WAG200G.

    >> This guy <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23548/1141/> has been less
    >> than impressed with Linksys.
    >>

    > Now you tell me.

    Wouldn't worry unless you are planning to get really complicated. Mine is
    set for WPA and its never been an issue.
    J Brockley, Mar 4, 2009
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    J Brockley wrote:
    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> This guy <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23548/1141/> has been
    >>> less than impressed with Linksys.
    >>>

    >> Now you tell me.

    > Wouldn't worry unless you are planning to get really complicated. Mine
    > is set for WPA and its never been an issue.

    Whatever I do will be as simple as possible.
    Gib Bogle, Mar 4, 2009