Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Curt Christianson, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. Good evening all,

    I'm hoping this is a simple problem, with just a configuration wrong
    somewhere.

    XP Pro SP2
    D-Link WBR-2310 router to an ADSL modem
    D-Link WUA-2340 USB adaptor

    My wireless hookup performs flawlessly as long as there is *no* encryption
    running, but as I climb the encryption ladder from least to most secure,my
    connectivity suffers tremendously. I might lose the connection and re-gain
    it multiple times in only 15-20 minutes. Signal strength is considered
    "excellent", and Netstumbler consistently lists it at
    -52 to-55dBm.. Any ideas why I'm not able to maintain a consistent
    connection except w/o encryption?

    My TIA,

    Curt

    Windows Support Center
    www.aumha.org
    Practically Nerded,...
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm
    Curt Christianson, Aug 1, 2007

  2. Curt Christianson

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what type of encryption are you using?
    try WPA2, then WPA. is there an issue with both?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Hi Barb,

    WPA is far better than WPA2. I haven't tried WEP yet. Very little Wi-Fi in
    my neighborhood, so I could probably get by with WEP though. I still have
    the feeling I have something configured wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.

    --
    HTH,

    Curt Christianson, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Curt Christianson

    Barb Bowman Guest

    first, please check to see that you are running the most current
    firmware for the router

    http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=470&sec=0

    also make sure you have the latest driver for the USB wireless

    http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=473&sec=0

    Barb Bowman, Aug 3, 2007
  5. Thank you Barb. I will check this out, and get back with you.

    Curt Christianson, Aug 4, 2007