    through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst Rving
    without the wireless router.

    Thanks in advance.

    Slaz, Jan 26, 2010

  2. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    Slaz wrote:
    > Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a wireless
    > connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason being; is that
    > when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving a signal from a
    > access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a antenna; and I would
    > like to have the other laptop receive that same signal via my main
    > laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
    >
    > On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
    > connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
    > computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all goes
    > through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst Rving
    > without the wireless router.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Windows has a facility called Internet Connection Sharing. Assuming that
    your main laptop has a free Ethernet adapter and your other laptop has
    an Ethernet adapter, you could do what you want. You'll need a
    cross-over Ethernet cable (*not* a standard cable). See
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Jan 27, 2010

  3. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I know that you can achieve what I want via a Ethernet connection. What
    I'm wanting to know is this possible via a wireless setup.

    Slaz, Jan 27, 2010
  4. Slaz <> wrote in

    > Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a
    > wireless connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason
    > being; is that when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving
    > a signal from a access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a
    > antenna; and I would like to have the other laptop receive that
    > same signal via my main laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
    >
    > On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
    > connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
    > computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all
    > goes through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst
    > Rving without the wireless router.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Try this article:

    "Set up a wireless network without a router"
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx#2>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jan 27, 2010
  5. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    Slaz wrote:
    > Thanks for your prompt reply.
    > I know that you can achieve what I want via a Ethernet connection. What
    > I'm wanting to know is this possible via a wireless setup.
    > Lem wrote:
    >> Slaz wrote:
    >>> Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a
    >>> wireless connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason
    >>> being; is that when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving a
    >>> signal from a access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a
    >>> antenna; and I would like to have the other laptop receive that same
    >>> signal via my main laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
    >>>
    >>> On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
    >>> connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
    >>> computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all goes
    >>> through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst Rving
    >>> without the wireless router.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> Windows has a facility called Internet Connection Sharing. Assuming that
    >> your main laptop has a free Ethernet adapter and your other laptop has
    >> an Ethernet adapter, you could do what you want. You'll need a
    >> cross-over Ethernet cable (*not* a standard cable). See
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    If you only have *one* wireless adapter, how do you think the other
    computer is going to connect to anything unless via Ethernet cable? Or
    have I misunderstood you and your second computer actually has a
    built-in wireless adapter?

    It's actually very simple: your *one* 802.11g wireless adapter can
    *only* connect between the wireless access point/router that belongs to
    the RV campground and *one* computer. Under this circumstance, the
    *only* way for the other computer to connect is to share the Internet
    connection of the first one via a wired connection.

    The ad hoc network suggested by John Wunderlich is not applicable to
    your situation. For one thing, an ad hoc wireless connection between two
    computers requires that *each* computer have a wireless adapter. For
    another, if the wireless adapter connected to one computer is being used
    to make an ad hoc connection to a second computer, it can't *also* be
    used to connect to a different wireless network. That is, the "main" or
    "host" computer would have to have *two* wireless adapters.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Jan 27, 2010
  6. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Both laptops have their own wireless adapters. The problem is that at
    most campgrounds the signal is very weak and they can not connect
    properly. I therefore use a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter plugged into one
    of the laptops. This adapter has an antenna attached to it that I attach
    to the roof of my Rv. I am than able to "Pull" in the signal from the
    campground. I would than like my second laptop to connect to the first
    via a wireless connection; if possible. If it can't be done without the
    wires; that is okay. I am just trying to get away from using the wires.

    Slaz, Jan 27, 2010
  7. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    John Wunderlich wrote:
    > Slaz<> wrote in
    >
    >> Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a
    >> wireless connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason
    >> being; is that when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving
    >> a signal from a access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a
    >> antenna; and I would like to have the other laptop receive that
    >> same signal via my main laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
    >>
    >> On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
    >> connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
    >> computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all
    >> goes through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst
    >> Rving without the wireless router.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Try this article:
    >
    > "Set up a wireless network without a router"
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx#2>
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    This looks like it is want I want. I just have to locate the article
    that refers to Windows Vista and Windows 7.
    Most campgrounds; both laptops will connect. It's just that some have a
    very weak signal unless you sit in the office!
    The Apple Tv; I have no problem using a wired connection. It is just
    with the laptops; I want to get away from using wires!!

    Thanks for everyones quick replies and time spent helping me out.

    Slaz, Jan 27, 2010
  8. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    Slaz wrote:
    > Both laptops have their own wireless adapters. The problem is that at
    > most campgrounds the signal is very weak and they can not connect
    > properly. I therefore use a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter plugged into one
    > of the laptops. This adapter has an antenna attached to it that I attach
    > to the roof of my Rv. I am than able to "Pull" in the signal from the
    > campground. I would than like my second laptop to connect to the first
    > via a wireless connection; if possible. If it can't be done without the
    > wires; that is okay. I am just trying to get away from using the wires.
    > Lem wrote:
    >> Slaz wrote:
    >>> Thanks for your prompt reply.
    >>> I know that you can achieve what I want via a Ethernet connection.
    >>> What I'm wanting to know is this possible via a wireless setup.

    >> If you only have *one* wireless adapter, how do you think the other
    >> computer is going to connect to anything unless via Ethernet cable? Or
    >> have I misunderstood you and your second computer actually has a
    >> built-in wireless adapter?
    >>
    >> It's actually very simple: your *one* 802.11g wireless adapter can
    >> *only* connect between the wireless access point/router that belongs to
    >> the RV campground and *one* computer. Under this circumstance, the
    >> *only* way for the other computer to connect is to share the Internet
    >> connection of the first one via a wired connection.
    >>
    >> The ad hoc network suggested by John Wunderlich is not applicable to
    >> your situation. For one thing, an ad hoc wireless connection between two
    >> computers requires that *each* computer have a wireless adapter. For
    >> another, if the wireless adapter connected to one computer is being used
    >> to make an ad hoc connection to a second computer, it can't *also* be
    >> used to connect to a different wireless network. That is, the "main" or
    >> "host" computer would have to have *two* wireless adapters.

    Well, that wasn't clear at all.

    In that case, use ICS as explained in the link in my earlier response.
    You will connect to the Internet using your 802.11g USB adapter and the
    link between the two computers will be via wireless using the built-in
    adapters.

    When you get to this screen, select the entry that corresponds to the
    built-in adapter:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverbroadband/ics_serverbroadband04.gif

    One thing that you will need to worry about will be interference between
    the wireless link between your RV and the Camp's access point on one
    hand and the wireless link between your two laptops on the other hand.
    You won't have any control over which channel is used by the RV Camp
    because that's set by the Campground owner. Depending on the built-in
    adapter on your "host" laptop, you may be able to configure the channel
    it uses for ICS. Click on the icon for that wireless adapter and select
    Properties. You'll get a screen that looks something like the following
    (although this is for a *wired* adapter):
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/tcp.jpg

    Click the "Configure" button next to the box where the name of your
    wireless adapter appears and select the "Advanced" tab. If you can set
    the channel, that's where the option will be. Although there are 11
    channels available in the US, you should use only channel 1, channel 7,
    or channel 11. If yours is settable, set it to 1 or 11; if you have
    interference, set it to the other extreme.

    If I were you, before setting out on your trip, I'd buy a sufficiently
    long Ethernet cable -- just in case.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Jan 27, 2010
  9. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > because that's set by the Campground owner. Depending on the built-in
    > adapter on your "host" laptop, you may be able to configure the channel
    > it uses for ICS. Click on the icon for that wireless adapter and select
    > Properties. You'll get a screen that looks something like the following
    > (although this is for a *wired* adapter):
    > http://www.ezlan.net/example/tcp.jpg
    >
    > Click the "Configure" button next to the box where the name of your
    > wireless adapter appears and select the "Advanced" tab. If you can set
    > the channel, that's where the option will be. Although there are 11
    > channels available in the US, you should use only channel 1, channel 7,
    > or channel 11. If yours is settable, set it to 1 or 11; if you have
    > interference, set it to the other extreme.
    >
    > If I were you, before setting out on your trip, I'd buy a sufficiently

    I've been struggling with poor signals for years at campgrounds. Pulling
    into a campground at 2:00 P.M. when there are hardly any campers; I can
    usually get a good signal. Late at night when the campground is full, is
    a different story. That is why I bought a adapter that I could attach an
    antenna to. The antenna and adapter is attached to the main computer via
    a 15 foot Usb cable; I then place the antenna on the roof of my 5th and
    all is good. That basically retricts the amount I can move the main
    laptop around. That is why I would like the second laptop to connect via
    a wireless connection.

    Thanks!

    Slaz, Jan 28, 2010
  10. Hi
    Get a second USB (this can be a good choice,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...dimax_wireless_adapter-_-33-315-075-_-Product )
    ..
    Put it as a second Wireless card in the Laptop with the "Big" Antenna.
    Then do Ad-Hoc + ICS, as mentioned above.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 28, 2010
  11. Slaz <> wrote in news:xEU7n.61277$Db2.48088@edtnps83:

    > This looks like it is want I want. I just have to locate the article
    > that refers to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

    "Set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network"
    <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jan 28, 2010
  12. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    Slaz wrote:
> [...]

    >> channels available in the US, you should use only channel 1, channel 7,
    >> or channel 11. If yours is settable, set it to 1 or 11; if you have
    >> interference, set it to the other extreme.
    >>
    >> If I were you, before setting out on your trip, I'd buy a sufficiently
    >> long Ethernet cable -- just in case.
    >>

    > I've been struggling with poor signals for years at campgrounds. Pulling
    > into a campground at 2:00 P.M. when there are hardly any campers; I can
    > usually get a good signal. Late at night when the campground is full, is
    > a different story. That is why I bought a adapter that I could attach an
    > antenna to. The antenna and adapter is attached to the main computer via
    > a 15 foot Usb cable; I then place the antenna on the roof of my 5th and
    > all is good. That basically retricts the amount I can move the main
    > laptop around. That is why I would like the second laptop to connect via

    I understand.

    If you want the laptop that's connected to your external antenna to
    connect wirelessly to your second laptop, then that first laptop needs
    *two* wireless adapters. If it has a built-in wireless adapter (in
    addition to the USB adapter), you can use that as the second wireless
    adapter. Or, as Jack suggests, you can buy a second USB adapter.
    Altogether, you need a minimum of 3 wireless adapters: two on the "main"
    or "host" laptop and one on the "client" laptop.

    All I meant by the comment at the end of my previous post was that if I
    were you, I'd bring a long Ethernet cross-over cable along so that if
    your laptop-to-laptop wireless link doesn't work, you can use ICS via
    the cable to get your second laptop connected.

    As with a lot of wireless networking, you probably will have to do some
    experimenting. For example, although I mentioned possible interference
    between the link to the campground router and the ICS link to the other
    laptop, it may well be that with your external antenna outside of your
    metal RV, you won't get that interference.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Jan 28, 2010