    purchased when I change to Comcast. Previously I had BellSouth DSL and
    everything seemed to work fine.

    Please advise, thanks
    jhi, Feb 25, 2010

  2. Hi
    The red X means that there is No network connection between the computer and
    the Router.
    It can be an hardware problem (like bad cable) or mis-configuration of the
    computer or the Router.
    This page explains how to check the computer,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    As for the router you have the read the extended manual and configure the
    Router manually.
    Unfortunately, to so call install CD does not really do anything if part of
    the system is not working.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 26, 2010

  3. jhi

    jhi Guest

    I got rid of the red X. but now
    My wireless network connection has a problem. The message is that I have
    limited or no connectivity. Why try to do a repair nothing really happens.
    The dialogue box "wireless network connection status" as blank spaces next
    to DNS SERVER and WINS SERVER. All of the other all of the other network
    connection details have numbers next to them and seem to be okay, I suppose.

    On my Belkin G. router the wireless networked is blinking. According to my
    Belkin router booklet that means Wan activity, but not good WAN link, which
    would be a solid light. The Internet light is not on at all and the modem
    light is also blinking.

    Thanks in advance

    jhi, Feb 26, 2010
  4. jhi

    Lem Guest

    jhi wrote:
    > I got rid of the red X. but now
    > My wireless network connection has a problem. The message is that I have
    > limited or no connectivity. Why try to do a repair nothing really happens.
    > The dialogue box "wireless network connection status" as blank spaces next
    > to DNS SERVER and WINS SERVER. All of the other all of the other network
    > connection details have numbers next to them and seem to be okay, I suppose.
    >
    > On my Belkin G. router the wireless networked is blinking. According to my
    > Belkin router booklet that means Wan activity, but not good WAN link, which
    > would be a solid light. The Internet light is not on at all and the modem
    > light is also blinking.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > "jhi" <> wrote in message
    >> I followed the Belkin CD for installing the router G. Everything went fine
    >> and the checking system gave me an okay for all areas. The problem is that
    >> my network connections in XP have a red X. They are not recognized by my
    >> computer in other words I am on a neighbors connection. How can I fix that?
    >>
    >> I also notice that when I have my modem plugged directly into my computer
    >> the blinking light is blue. But, when it's plugged into my router it
    >> blinks red, as it does when the computer is turned off. This is a new
    >> modem I purchased when I change to Comcast. Previously I had BellSouth DSL
    >> and everything seemed to work fine.
    >>
    >> Please advise, thanks

    It sounds like you have not correctly configured the encryption password.

    Please answer *all* questions.

    A. What did you do to get rid of the red X?
    B. What encryption did you set up on the router?
    C. Have you tried connecting with your router configured with no
    encryption (if not, please try)?
    D. Did you configure a unique SSID (network name) on your new router
    (that is, are you sure that you're attempting to connect to *your*
    router and not your neighbor's)?
    E. Please supply additional information as follows

    1. Click Start / Run
    2. Type the three letters cmd
    3. Click OK
    4. Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each of them:
    set comp > c:\test.txt
    ipconfig /all >> c:\test.txt
    notepad c:\test.txt
    5. Paste the contents of the result into your reply.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Feb 26, 2010