    be necessary.

    This is an intermittant problem does anyone have a similar experience or
    suggestion.
    =?Utf-8?B?bm9jdmFk?=, Jun 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bm9jdmFk?=

    Clark Guest

    There seem to be two controllers for wireless devices in Windows. One is
    the card controller that you probably installed with the wireless card. The
    other is the Wireless Zero Configuration service that runs in WinXP. Try
    turning one of them off. The WZC is under your wireless connection on the
    Wireless Networks tab. Or you could just turn off the utility that came
    with the card. I believe, but not sure, that WZC will disable the other
    controller, so if you were to try to scan for networks, it would probably
    say it can't because of whatever.(technical term ;). Each controller has
    it's own settings, so if you disable one, make sure you put the correct
    information in the other.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005

  3. I have tried just using the d-link utility and it works. Unfortunately it
    only has WEP and I was using the windows utility and WPA before with no
    problem. I guess my big question is why do I have to unplug and plug back in
    the usb card to make the wireless system supply the ip addresss?

    Thanks,

    =?Utf-8?B?bm9jdmFk?=, Jun 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bm9jdmFk?=

    Clark Guest

    I would guess that unplugging the card resets all the settings, much like an
    ipconfig /renew would do. Next time, go to the WZC page under the Wireless
    Networks tab and click on "View wireless networks". A windows should open
    up with your network and at the bottom a button that will disconnect the
    network. After you disconnect, the button should change to connect.

    I would bet if you update your d-Link utility it will now support WPA, they
    have been updating all those utilities lately.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 23, 2005