    internet and try to disable WEP the internet connection puts it back on. I
    also have a problem repairing the connection and the computer tells me that
    it cannot find my ip address.

    =?Utf-8?B?QlQ=?=, Jan 15, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QlQ=?=

    Lem Guest

    BT wrote:
    > I enabled a secure wireless connection by accident and didn't make a note of
    > the 13 digit password. Now I have a problem when I tried to connect to the
    > internet and try to disable WEP the internet connection puts it back on. I
    > also have a problem repairing the connection and the computer tells me that
    > it cannot find my ip address.

    BT --

    access your router's configuration utility by opening a web browser and
    entering your router's IP address. Then reset the encryption. This
    time, use WPA, assuming that the wireless adapter in your computer can
    handle this. You may have to download a new driver or firmware to make
    this so. See your router's User Guide for details, including the
    default IP address of the router. If you don't have the UG (it's
    probably on a CD that came with the router), download it from the mfr's
    web site.

    Once you have configured the router, go into the "properties" of your
    wireless network connection, select your SSID from the list of
    "preferred networks" on the "Wireless Networks" tab, and go to its
    "properties" page:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...tion/Properties/Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml
    set the appropriate encryption info on the "association" tab:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...ociation/(Auth-Open)--(Encryp-Disabled).shtml
    Remember, if you stay with WEP, you must enter the HEX value of the key
    (write it down from the router's configuration page) and not the
    alphanumeric password that was used to generate the key.
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 16, 2007