    computer with windows XP professional with Tiscali broad band. What software
    do I need to obtain so that the lap top can use my broad band that is
    connected to my computer, and is it easy enough to set up. Regards Jim
    Jim Cummings, Aug 21, 2006

  2. Jim Cummings

    Lem Guest

    Jim Cummings wrote:
    > I am about to buy a laptop for my wife that is wireless enabled. I have a
    > computer with windows XP professional with Tiscali broad band. What software
    > do I need to obtain so that the lap top can use my broad band that is
    > connected to my computer, and is it easy enough to set up. Regards Jim

    All the software you need is included in WinXP, service pack 2.

    You need additional hardware, not software. Buy a wireless router.
    Unless you are planning use the wireless network to stream videos, do
    intensive p2p game playing, or need to have the laptop exceptionally far
    away from the router, I'd stick with the regular 802.11(g) models,
    rather than the "turbo", "super G", "pre-N", "MIMO", or other souped-up
    models.

    Try to get a name brand router, rather than the cheapest one available,
    and make sure that the one you select offers at least WPA (preferably
    WPA2 or WPA-AES) encryption.
    Lem, Aug 21, 2006

  3. Hi
    The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning
    Sharing Internet, and using Wireless; it is short and to the point.
    The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
    and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
    still the same.
    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    The whole thing should like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Wireless hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Wireless, Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 21, 2006
  4. Jim Cummings

    Gary Guest

    I am trying to do the sane thing. I have ordered a wireless router for my
    laptop, and a PC Network card for the laptop. The thing I am not sure about
    is the connection to my desktop. It is right next to my broadband modem so
    wireless is not needed. I assume I can just connect a wire from the router
    to the computer, but how do I know if I have the right connection in my
    desktop, or need additional hardware?

    Thanks

    Gary
    Gary, Aug 21, 2006