wireless connection works on desktop without security, but withsecurity cannot connect

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Suzan, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. Suzan

    Suzan Guest

    I have a windows xp desktop with latest patches and updates. I've had
    this problem for about a year now since I got the Verizon Fios router
    (not blaming the router). I moved computers around the house. My
    desktop, which used to be connected via wire, moved to a room without
    a wire connection so I've tried at least 3 different wireless cards to
    see if I could improve the connection. If I took wireless laptops in
    the room they would all get very good signals and connect fine. I
    finally discovered that if I turned off any type of Wireless Security
    I could connect with this new USB N adapter. Then I discovered a
    leech on my network and played around with settings that would let me
    connect and not the leeches. I started using MAC address filtering.
    Well, I have decided to again tackle WHY I cannot use security. I
    want to be able to use WPA security and connect with a very good
    signal.

    Again, only the desktop has the problem. I don't know if there the
    older motherboard hardware on the machine which is over 4 years old is
    the problem or something else.

    Can someone help me figure this out? I have done many many searches
    and have not found the answer.

    Thank you in advance.

    Suzan

    Suzan, Nov 3, 2008

  2. Re: wireless connection works on desktop without security, but with security cannot connect

    Hi
    WPA security has a marginal affect on the Wireless signal.
    My guess would be that be your Desktop Wireless card Antenna is masked by
    the case or something else and the signal is blocked.
    You should try an external Antenna that can sit above the system and be free
    of obstructions.
    Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 3, 2008

  3. Suzan

    Suzan Guest

    Jack,

    Thanks so much for the response, but there are two questions I have
    for you. First off, the problem is only when I use WPA and the
    antenna I have now works fine when there is no encryption security.
    Therefore, why would I think it is masked. Second, the antenna I am
    using is on an external and sits above he computer on my desk's shelf,
    which is above the desk tabletop.

    Again, this is a long standing problem where I have tried quite a few
    things with this computer.

    Much appreciation....

    Suan

    Suzan, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Suzan

    Big_Al Guest

    Suzan wrote:
    > Jack,
    >
    > Thanks so much for the response, but there are two questions I have
    > for you. First off, the problem is only when I use WPA and the
    > antenna I have now works fine when there is no encryption security.
    > Therefore, why would I think it is masked. Second, the antenna I am
    > using is on an external and sits above he computer on my desk's shelf,
    > which is above the desk tabletop.
    >
    > Again, this is a long standing problem where I have tried quite a few
    > things with this computer.
    >
    > Much appreciation....
    >
    > Suan
    >

    > On Nov 3, 4:21 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> WPA security has a marginal affect on the Wireless signal.
    >> My guess would be that be your Desktop Wireless card Antenna is masked by
    >> the case or something else and the signal is blocked.
    >> You should try an external Antenna that can sit above the system and be free
    >> of obstructions.
    >> Example,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Suzan" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have a windows xp desktop with latest patches and updates. I've had
    >>> this problem for about a year now since I got the Verizon Fios router
    >>> (not blaming the router). I moved computers around the house. My
    >>> desktop, which used to be connected via wire, moved to a room without
    >>> a wire connection so I've tried at least 3 different wireless cards to
    >>> see if I could improve the connection. If I took wireless laptops in
    >>> the room they would all get very good signals and connect fine. I
    >>> finally discovered that if I turned off any type of Wireless Security
    >>> I could connect with this new USB N adapter. Then I discovered a
    >>> leech on my network and played around with settings that would let me
    >>> connect and not the leeches. I started using MAC address filtering.
    >>> Well, I have decided to again tackle WHY I cannot use security. I
    >>> want to be able to use WPA security and connect with a very good
    >>> signal.
    >>> Again, only the desktop has the problem. I don't know if there the
    >>> older motherboard hardware on the machine which is over 4 years old is
    >>> the problem or something else.
    >>> Can someone help me figure this out? I have done many many searches
    >>> and have not found the answer.
    >>> Thank you in advance.
    >>> Suzan

    I have a Verizon Actiontec router and it too works fine is WEP or
    unsecured but has a decreased throughput when running WPA. Oddly the
    last one I had allowed me to do WPA2 and it worked great.
    Right now, I've turned off the wireless and have a 2nd Belkin router
    hooked up as an access point, and it works great on the wireless.

    So for whatever reason, I think these Actiontec routers are junk.

    Big_Al, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Suzan

    Suzan Guest

    On Nov 3, 9:43 pm, Big_Al <> wrote:
    > Suzan wrote:
    > > Jack,

    > > Thanks so much for the response, but there are two questions I have
    > > for you. First off, the problem is only when I use WPA and the
    > > antenna I have now works fine when there is no encryption security.
    > > Therefore, why would I think it is masked. Second, the antenna I am
    > > using is on an external and sits above he computer on my desk's shelf,
    > > which is above the desk tabletop.

    > > Again, this is a long standing problem where I have tried quite a few
    > > things with this computer.

    > > Much appreciation....

    > > Suan

    > > On Nov 3, 4:21 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> WPA security has a marginal affect on the Wireless signal.
    > >> My guess would be that be your Desktop Wireless card Antenna is masked by
    > >> the case or something else and the signal is blocked.
    > >> You should try an external Antenna that can sit above the system and be free
    > >> of obstructions.
    > >> Example,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    > >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > >> "Suzan" <> wrote in message

    > I have a Verizon Actiontec router and it too works fine is WEP or
    > unsecured but has a decreased throughput when running WPA. Oddly the
    > last one I had allowed me to do WPA2 and it worked great.
    > Right now, I've turned off the wireless and have a 2nd Belkin router
    > hooked up as an access point, and it works great on the wireless.
    >
    > So for whatever reason, I think these Actiontec routers are junk.

    Well, if the WPA works fine for you and me on all computers but one,
    it still sounds to me like it's the motherboard. I decided to hard
    wire to the computer before I decide to just buy a new computer. I
    like my old computer. It just took a long time to figure out that
    it's probably the computer.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Suzan, Nov 9, 2008