Wireless Connection Woes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Frenchy, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Frenchy

    Frenchy Guest

    OK, real new at this, so may need some prompting!

    Have a D-Link DSL-G604T Router and ADSL Modem that has LAN ports as well
    as a Wireless connection.

    Have set everything up via the HTTP:// wizard in the router. Internet
    connection works
    fine and other computers connected to the router via cable all get Web
    access.

    Wish to connect my Toshiba Portege Laptop to the Wireless part of the
    Router. It sees the SSID and have 100% signal strength and make
    connection and supply the 128 Bit ASCII key.

    Now if I let Windows (Win XP with Service Pack 2) in the Laptop control
    the Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI card, then I get a full strength
    connection
    but cannot access the Internet thru the Router. The Wireless icon in the
    tray does NOT have a Limited connectivity exclamation on it. Have tried all
    firewalls off and no success. Note the ADSL Internet connection is working
    fine via the main computer and works to the Laptop if I use a LAN cable to
    the router. It just doesn't work with the Wireless connection.

    Now if I use Cirond WinC software to manage the Laptop wireless card (i.e
    take away Windows Control), it again
    sees the SSID and gets an IP address but again no Internet connection,
    although
    this time the icon in the tray indicates "Limited or no connectivity".

    I have tried with no security settings and no WEP Key at all and no
    difference. The WinC software
    allows the connection to "associate", but again no connection

    I have used the wireless Laptop connection in hotels or Starbucks when
    travelling, so it does work.
    Any help appreciated!

    Frenchy
    Frenchy, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Are you enabling DHCP on your router in all conditions?

    Warren Bryant, Nov 1, 2004

  3. Frenchy

    Frenchy Guest

    DHCP is enabled (as a server) (there are 3 options, this was default)

    Thanks

    Frenchy

    Frenchy, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Hi

    I had the identical problem altough other equipment. Now it works. What I
    did is the following:
    First update router to the latest firmware.
    Then reset the router and enter the total config again
    I deactivated WEP and now the connection is established.

    The remaining question is why does the encrytion with WEP not work ?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3dpc3MgY2hlZXNl?=, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Frenchy

    Frenchy Guest

    Hi back! No I have done all that right from the start.

    Tried no security at all and still no connection. I am getting convinced
    this is a XP2 service pack bug!

    Frenchy

    Frenchy, Nov 4, 2004