    switched off?
    I have an excellent connection but only when my desktop is connected to the
    internet.
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQmxhY2s=?=, May 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQmxhY2s=?=

    Lem Guest

    JoeBlack wrote:
    > Is it possible for me to connect to the internet with my host computer
    > switched off?
    > I have an excellent connection but only when my desktop is connected to the
    > internet.

    Yes.

    And no.

    A common SOHO configuration is:
    1. a cable or DSL modem connected via Ethernet cable to the WAN port of
    a wireless router;
    2. a desktop with an internal Ethernet network interface card (NIC)
    connected via Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the wireless
    router; and
    3. a laptop with a wireless NIC (either internal or add-on) connected
    wirelessly to the router.

    If that's your configuration, then you should be able to connect the
    laptop to the Internet whether or not the desktop is turned on.

    If that's not your configuration, please describe what hardware you have
    and how it's connected.
    Lem, May 22, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQmxhY2s=?=

    RalfG Guest

    If you are using Internet Connection sharing and a wireless adapter on the
    desktop to connect the second computer to the internet then, no, you cannot
    connect when the host is switched off. Use a wireless router instead of ICS.
    You can still connect the desktop to the router via ethernet if you want it
    to have a hardwired connection.

    RalfG, May 24, 2006