    access point wired to the Xbox and then a wireless card on the PC talking to
    the AP? Would it work and would the Xbox get assigned an IP from the PC
    (which is a server)

    cowboyz, Oct 11, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    theseus Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:ckci9i$sme$...
    >I would like to have a wireless connection setup to my Xbox which is at the
    > other end of the house.
    >
    > Is this possible? Like a network to wireless adapter. Maybe a wireless
    > access point wired to the Xbox and then a wireless card on the PC talking
    > the AP? Would it work and would the Xbox get assigned an IP from the PC
    > (which is a server)

    Linksys make one, its a wireless bridge. WGA11b
    Available from Ascent.

    theseus, Oct 11, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:57:35 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >I would like to have a wireless connection setup to my Xbox which is at the
    >other end of the house.
    >
    >Is this possible? Like a network to wireless adapter. Maybe a wireless
    >access point wired to the Xbox and then a wireless card on the PC talking to
    >the AP? Would it work and would the Xbox get assigned an IP from the PC
    >(which is a server)

    Yes, MS make a network to wireless adaptor but you would be better off
    buying something like the Linksys WGA54G. I would post the link but
    international connectivity is down at the moment with Iconz (and even
    www.linksys.co.nz must be offshore). I want to use one of these to
    stream video and music from my PC upstairs to Xbox downstairs. There
    is a 802.11b version WGA11b but for an extra few dollars I would go
    for the G.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Oct 11, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:57:35 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to have a wireless connection setup to my Xbox which is
    >> at the other end of the house.
    >>
    >> Is this possible? Like a network to wireless adapter. Maybe a
    >> wireless access point wired to the Xbox and then a wireless card on
    >> the PC talking to the AP? Would it work and would the Xbox get
    >> assigned an IP from the PC (which is a server)
    >>

    > Yes, MS make a network to wireless adaptor but you would be better off
    > buying something like the Linksys WGA54G. I would post the link but
    > international connectivity is down at the moment with Iconz (and even
    > www.linksys.co.nz must be offshore). I want to use one of these to
    > stream video and music from my PC upstairs to Xbox downstairs. There
    > is a 802.11b version WGA11b but for an extra few dollars I would go
    > for the G.

    I rung MS and got transferred to the dedicated Xbox phone support line.
    After asking for my name, full name, address, if I subscribe to teh Xbox
    Live service and then 10 minutes on hold it was determined that you can not
    purchase the Xbox wireless adapter in New Zealand.

    Went to Linksys website and in the "where to buy- retail - New Zealand" it
    shows no where.

    I get very impatient really fast when I feel like I am being dicked around.
    I think a couple of drillholes might just be a heaper quicker/easier and
    cheaper.

    cowboyz, Oct 11, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    nick Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > DoggNZ wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:57:35 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to have a wireless connection setup to my Xbox which is
    >>> at the other end of the house.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible? Like a network to wireless adapter. Maybe a
    >>> wireless access point wired to the Xbox and then a wireless card on
    >>> the PC talking to the AP? Would it work and would the Xbox get
    >>> assigned an IP from the PC (which is a server)
    >>>

    >> Yes, MS make a network to wireless adaptor but you would be better off
    >> buying something like the Linksys WGA54G. I would post the link but
    >> international connectivity is down at the moment with Iconz (and even
    >> www.linksys.co.nz must be offshore). I want to use one of these to
    >> stream video and music from my PC upstairs to Xbox downstairs. There
    >> is a 802.11b version WGA11b but for an extra few dollars I would go
    >> for the G.

    > I rung MS and got transferred to the dedicated Xbox phone support line.
    > After asking for my name, full name, address, if I subscribe to teh Xbox
    > Live service and then 10 minutes on hold it was determined that you can
    > not
    > purchase the Xbox wireless adapter in New Zealand.
    >
    > Went to Linksys website and in the "where to buy- retail - New Zealand" it
    > shows no where.
    >
    > I get very impatient really fast when I feel like I am being dicked
    > around.
    > I think a couple of drillholes might just be a heaper quicker/easier and
    > cheaper.

    Ascent
    Linksys WGA11B, Wireless Game Console adapter, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube
    $132.04
    incl GST

    nick, Oct 11, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message news:eqlad.7457

    > Ascent
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121322
    > Linksys WGA11B, Wireless Game Console adapter, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube
    > $132.04
    > incl GST

    Thanks for the effort but I think someone is trying to tell me something.
    Got a 404 on your link there. Went there manually and that looks like the
    ticket. So then on the PC side can I just go for a Wireless network card or
    will I need an AP in the middle?

    cowboyz, Oct 11, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    Daver Guest

    Not sure of the detail but a friends just set one up using a Belkin 54g
    Wireless access point at 54mbs. I think the 11mbs are a bit on the slow so
    the 54mbs brings it a bit closer to the 100mbs achieved over cable.
    I think you need the F5D7130au and the F5D7231au4.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=202566

    Daver, Oct 11, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:33:44 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"nick" <> wrote in message news:eqlad.7457
    >> >

    >> Ascent
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121322
    >> Linksys WGA11B, Wireless Game Console adapter, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube
    >> $132.04
    >> incl GST
    >>

    >Thanks for the effort but I think someone is trying to tell me something.
    >Got a 404 on your link there. Went there manually and that looks like the
    >ticket. So then on the PC side can I just go for a Wireless network card or
    >will I need an AP in the middle?

    That's a good question. You may be able to use them in ad-hoc
    mode.....

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Oct 13, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    nick Guest

    "DoggNZ" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:33:44 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"nick" <> wrote in message news:eqlad.7457
    >>> >

    >>> Ascent
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121322
    >>> Linksys WGA11B, Wireless Game Console adapter, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube
    >>> $132.04
    >>> incl GST
    >>>

    >>Thanks for the effort but I think someone is trying to tell me something.
    >>Got a 404 on your link there. Went there manually and that looks like the
    >>ticket. So then on the PC side can I just go for a Wireless network card
    >>or
    >>will I need an AP in the middle?
    >>

    > That's a good question. You may be able to use them in ad-hoc
    > mode.....

    You can use them in adhoc mode
    But I see that Ascent also lists Linksys WAP11 APs at $123.90 which might be
    a better deal than a card at the PC end

    nick, Oct 13, 2004