    Hi,

    I am going to purchase a laptop for a friend and the laptop already has a Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) card in it. Is it possible to connect to a (or use with a) cell phone number over this device? If not, if it is possible, what does one need. The person gets around a lot, and needs to connect to the net quite pften. Any help greatly appreciated.

    Tom

    Tom, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Tom

    peter Guest

    He needs a special cable that he can buy from his cell phone supplier.
    They are specific to cell phone in use..so it depends upon the type of phone he
    has
    It connects from the USB port on a laptop to a connection under the screen on
    mine and uses the cell internet.
    Of course he has to sign up for such a plan ..$$$$
    peter

    peter, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Tom

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The only thing that is mutual between 802.11g Wireless Network and a
    Wireless (cellular) phone is the word Wireless. Otherwise there in no
    connection what so ever.

    In other word having a Wireless Network capacity has nothing to do with
    Wireless Phone.

    There are few ways to use Wireless Phone as a mean to connect to the
    Internet.

    Each one depends on the company that renders the service (Verizon and Sprint
    Do).

    Do not buy any hardware concerning such a capacity without establishing a
    Cellular account that supports Internet connection and receiving guide line
    from the provider concerning the nature of the hardware that works best with
    their system.

    P.S. All of the above is concerning Cellular Internet service. Connection to
    the Internet might also be obtained with the 802.11g Wireless through
    publicly available Hot Spots like the ones that are available in Internet
    Café (it has nothing to do with phones). To do so you do not need any thing
    more then a correctly configured Laptop with 802.11x Wireless capacity.

    Jack, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Tom

    Chris Catt Guest

    Hi, wireless, aka infrared, you'll require a USB, bluetooth adaptor....
    ChrisC

    Chris Catt, Dec 22, 2004