Wireless connection takes ages - help?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DavidM, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    I have a Linksys wired router connected to an NTL cable modem, with a PC
    connected directly to that router. I then have a Linksys wireless router
    connected to
    the first router for use with my laptop via a Linksys wireless adapter. When
    it's up and working it's all great, and good strong signal. However about
    50% on the time when I fire up the laptop it takes ages to connect (signal
    strength still v good) and I have to disable/enable (or repair) and
    eventually it will connect. Other times, from either a cold boot or from
    hibernate it will connect immediately.

    I've tried running with both static and dynamic ip's (on both routers, PC
    and laptop), with the SSID broadcast both on and off, and without
    encryption. The only thing I've left enabled is the MAC filter on the
    wireless router, locked to my laptop adaptor MAC. Having the permanently
    connected PC switched on or off makes no difference to the problem.

    Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

    Thanks, David.

    DavidM, Apr 3, 2005

  2. DavidM

    DLink Guru Guest

    Do you have DHCP disabled on the wireless router? It could be in conflict
    with the first router.

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Apr 3, 2005

  3. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    It is turned off on both routers when I'm running with static ips, and only
    turned on in the non wired router when using dynamic ips.
    David.

    DavidM, Apr 5, 2005