    interent through the router, Do i need to install line filters on my phone
    lines? The adsl light wont even come on my router any more either. thanks in
    advance

    =?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24yOQ==?=, Jan 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24yOQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Aaron29 wrote:
    > My laptop was connected to my wireless router perfectly and i was able to
    > access the interent with ease, until my sister answered the phone and when
    > she hung up the phone, i couldnt find my router or recieve and sort of
    > interent through the router, Do i need to install line filters on my phone
    > lines? The adsl light wont even come on my router any more either. thanks in
    > advance

    You need to determine if your problem relates to your DSL connection or
    to your wireless connection. Either (or both) could have been affected
    by "answering the phone." You definitely need to have line filters on
    EVERY telephone and telephone-like device (answering machines, fax
    machines, etc) in your house. See: http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

    1. Install filters on all phone devices.
    2. Turn off your DSL modem, your router, and your computer.
    3. Turn on the DSL modem. Wait until the light indicating a good DSL
    signal lights up. This may take 2 or 3 minutes. If you don't get an
    indication that you have a DSL connection at this point, call your ISP.

    Try connecting your computer directly to your DSL modem. Be SURE to
    turn on a firewall first. Use the Windows XP firewall if you have
    nothing else.

    To connect directly to your DSL modem, you will have to set up a connection:

    Boot up your computer and open Network Connections.
    Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
    Click Connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
    Click Setup my connection manually, and then click Next.
    Click Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and
    password.
    Follow the instructions in the New Connection Wizard providing the
    information from your ISP.

    If you can successfully connect by bypassing the router, now turn off
    your computer. Connect the router to the DSL modem. Connect the
    computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. Turn on the router.
    Wait a minute or two for the router to log into your ISP. Now turn the
    computer back on.

    After your computer has completed its boot up, you should be able to
    access your router's configuration utility by opening a web browser and
    entering your router's IP address. You will have to consult your
    router's User Guide for more detailed info, but typically, the router's
    IP is something similar to 192.168.1.1. Log into your router's
    configuration utility using the userid and password you defined (or your
    router's defaults; again see the router User Guide).

    Once you are in your router's configuration utility, you can check to
    see if it is properly set up to log into your ISP, and also check and or
    reset your wireless configuration settings. You then should be able to
    connect wirelessly again.

    Is the phone that was answered a cordless phone? If so, do you know
    what frequency it uses? If it is cordless and you don't know more, what
    make/model is it? If you have 2.4 GHz cordless phones (fairly common)
    they may well interfere with your wireless connection, but only while
    the phone is in use -- not after it's hung up.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 14, 2007