    the web, share files and printer. Even though the router is a 54Mbps it only
    connects @ 1 Mbps. The download speed of the laptop is about half of what
    the desktop speed is. Is this normal or can it be improved?
    =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=, Oct 26, 2007

  2. Hi
    Wireless is depending heavily on the environment.
    A simple way to try to improve it is by changing the Transmission channel in
    the Wireless Router and find the one that yields the best results.
    As a frame of reference, http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 26, 2007

  3. I've tried every channel available. Still only connects @ 1Mbps. The modem
    is in bridge mode. I don't know if that makes any difference.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=, Oct 26, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 04:51:00 -0700, connflash
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Netgear WGR614v6 router and a Siemens Speedstream 4100 dsl modem. I
    >have a desktop cpu and a laptop cpu. The laptop uses wireless to connect to
    >the web, share files and printer. Even though the router is a 54Mbps it only
    >connects @ 1 Mbps. The download speed of the laptop is about half of what
    >the desktop speed is. Is this normal or can it be improved?

    Do a site survey, and see if you have WiFi neighbours hogging the spectrum.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/06/analyse-your-wifi-environment.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/06/analyse-your-wifi-environment.html

    And check with the vendor of the router, and of the WiFi device in the laptop,
    and see if there are any drivers or firmware upgrades available.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html

    Where is the laptop used, in relation to the router? Both distance and other
    objects can be a problem.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Chuck [MVP], Oct 26, 2007
  5. No neighbors in the area using wireless. I have updated all pertinent
    drivers and firmware. Laptop is located about 5 feet from the router. By
    the way the signal strength is always excellent, but I only connect @ 1 Mbps
    always.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=, Oct 26, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:10:02 -0700, connflash
    <> wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 04:51:00 -0700, connflash
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a Netgear WGR614v6 router and a Siemens Speedstream 4100 dsl modem. I
    >> >have a desktop cpu and a laptop cpu. The laptop uses wireless to connect to
    >> >the web, share files and printer. Even though the router is a 54Mbps it only
    >> >connects @ 1 Mbps. The download speed of the laptop is about half of what
    >> >the desktop speed is. Is this normal or can it be improved?

    >> Do a site survey, and see if you have WiFi neighbours hogging the spectrum.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/06/analyse-your-wifi-environment.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/06/analyse-your-wifi-environment.html
    >>
    >> And check with the vendor of the router, and of the WiFi device in the laptop,
    >> and see if there are any drivers or firmware upgrades available.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html
    >>
    >> Where is the laptop used, in relation to the router? Both distance and other
    >> objects can be a problem.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html

    >No neighbors in the area using wireless. I have updated all pertinent
    >drivers and firmware. Laptop is located about 5 feet from the router. By
    >the way the signal strength is always excellent, but I only connect @ 1 Mbps
    >always.

    OK, check the Transmission Rate setting on the router.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html

    Are you looking at Signal strength, or Signal to Noise Ratio? You do know the
    difference? Did you use NetStumbler?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck [MVP], Oct 26, 2007
  7. I just downloaded Netstumbler. According to the readings I get a signal to
    noise ratio of 58 and a signal strength of -42. Don't know if that means
    anything to you, doesn't to me.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=, Oct 27, 2007
  8. Do you have any other fixes or suggestions? Could the latest firmware update
    from Netgear have created the problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=, Oct 31, 2007
  9. Hi
    If it worked OK before Flashing than Flash back to the old Firmware.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 31, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Y29ubmZsYXNo?=

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 03:52:01 -0700, connflash
    <> wrote:

    >"connflash" wrote:

    >> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

    >> > OK, check the Transmission Rate setting on the router.
    >> > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
    >> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html
    >> >
    >> > Are you looking at Signal strength, or Signal to Noise Ratio? You do know the
    >> > difference? Did you use NetStumbler?

    >> I just downloaded Netstumbler. According to the readings I get a signal to
    >> noise ratio of 58 and a signal strength of -42. Don't know if that means
    >> anything to you, doesn't to me.
    >>

    >Do you have any other fixes or suggestions? Could the latest firmware update
    >from Netgear have created the problem?

    If you updated firmware just before the problem started, then going back to the
    previous version is where I would start. Never move forward, without having the
    current selection to go back to.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck [MVP], Nov 1, 2007