Wireless Connection Speed Degradation despite of Strong Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Netman, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    I am using a D-Link Wireless Router DI-624 for connecting two Win XP Pro PCs to
    internet via wireless. I am on RCN cable connection and the said arrangement
    has been working well for two years.

    Lately I have started noticing that the wireless Network connection speed (seen
    by right clicking the wireless network icon in the task bar) randomly goes down
    from a normal of 11Mbps to 1 or 2Mbs or somewhere around that and it becomes
    impossible to surf or check the email. Even though the wireless signal strength
    remains very good to excellent through out.

    Then after a variable period of time (30 minutes to several hours), the speed
    returns to 11Mbps and surfing becomes normal again. During this time when the
    wireless network speed goes down, one PC (3rd PC) that is wired to the router
    shows normal network speed of 100Mbps and surfing on it remains possible though
    moderately slower than under normal conditions.

    I have ruled out any problem with the wireless adapters in the affected PCs. The
    only other possibility that comes to mind is erratic router functionality. I am
    not sure if any problem on the ISP side cause this problem too.

    Any help, explanation of the phenomenon and possible trouble shooting hints
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Matt

    Netman, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Netman

    Dave Guest

    check for interference from things like cordless phones, microwaves, or
    other wireless networks that are closer to the machine having trouble than
    the other one that stays working.

    Dave, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Netman

    Frankster Guest

    "Dave" wrote in message ...
    > check for interference from things like cordless phones, microwaves, or
    > other wireless networks that are closer to the machine having trouble than
    > the other one that stays working.

    Yes. And, don't forget possible interference from a wireless mouse!

    -Frank

    Frankster, Oct 28, 2005
  4. Netman

    GTS Guest

    I concur re. checking for interference. Also, do you leave the router on
    all the time? I've seen this problem specifically with the DI-624 (and some
    other home grade w/routers) where an occasional power off/on reset resolves
    it.

    GTS, Oct 28, 2005
  5. Netman

    Netman Guest

    My router is on all the time, when this problem started occurring, I did power
    cycle the router but it did not make any difference. As far as the sources of
    interference, I do not have wireless keyboard or mouse. Cordless phones I do
    have and I also have X10 wireless switches for my bracket fan and the ceiling
    light fixture, but all these things co-existed for at least two years before the
    problem started occurring. There is no other obvious source of wireless signal
    other than electric company wireless network on the power line pole near me that
    they are using for residential broadband service, I can see at least two of
    their networks with the signal strength matching my own.

    Will the cordless phones interfere with network only when in use or they would
    do so even otherwise ?

    Will changing the channel on the router or using WEP make any difference?

    Will switching D-Link DI-624 with a Belkin Wireless Router WGB-511 likely to
    make any difference?

    Thanks

    Matt

    Netman, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Netman

    GTS Guest

    Changing the channel is well worth a try if there are other strong WAPs in
    range. Note that the only 3 completely separate channels are 1, 6, and 11.

    GTS, Oct 29, 2005