Wireless connection slowly ... disappearing!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by paul.j.vincent@btinternet.com, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello

    Hopefully someone on here can help me out with a problem I've been
    having with my wireless internet connection (XP SP2, Netgear wireless
    card). I've been using a friend's wireless connection for a while, and
    it's temperamental but generally fine.

    However, a couple of days ago, both Opera and Internet Explorer lost
    browser functionality (both acted as if there was no connection
    available), but could still send/receive in Outlook and get updates and
    the like in other software. Funnily, I found that if I could still use
    a normal Windows Explorer window to browse, and the signal strength,
    etc, was fine. As of today, however, I can't even get a connection,
    despite Network Stumbler (and my friend) showing the usual network to
    be running just fine, and there's no security so it can't be that. XP
    even lists the network, but when I click to connect to it, nothing
    happens. I've run updated versions of virus and spyware checkers and
    they've revealed nothing.

    Anyone have any ideas (please!!)?

    Paul

    , Mar 29, 2006

  2. Chuck Guest

    On 29 Mar 2006 08:04:05 -0800, wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Hopefully someone on here can help me out with a problem I've been
    >having with my wireless internet connection (XP SP2, Netgear wireless
    >card). I've been using a friend's wireless connection for a while, and
    >it's temperamental but generally fine.
    >
    >However, a couple of days ago, both Opera and Internet Explorer lost
    >browser functionality (both acted as if there was no connection
    >available), but could still send/receive in Outlook and get updates and
    >the like in other software. Funnily, I found that if I could still use
    >a normal Windows Explorer window to browse, and the signal strength,
    >etc, was fine. As of today, however, I can't even get a connection,
    >despite Network Stumbler (and my friend) showing the usual network to
    >be running just fine, and there's no security so it can't be that. XP
    >even lists the network, but when I click to connect to it, nothing
    >happens. I've run updated versions of virus and spyware checkers and
    >they've revealed nothing.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas (please!!)?
    >
    >Paul

    Paul,

    I'd start by looking at "ipconfig /all" from your computer, and from one of your
    friends computers.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    Do you have browse ability (looking at your friends computers?) in Network
    Neighborhood, thru Windows Explorer, even when you "click to connect to it,
    nothing happens"? I'd look at LSP / Winsock corruption first:
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Mar 29, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks for your response. I tried all the various solutions from the
    LSP/Winsock page (all five) and run through much of the advice on your
    troubleshooting Network Neighborhood page, with no success. What I find
    particularly peculiar is that the loss of browsing ability occurred
    midway through a Windows session, rather than after a restart.

    ipconfig shows "media disconected". Might it be worth posting the
    entire response of "ipconfig /all"?

    , Mar 31, 2006
  4. Chuck Guest

    On 31 Mar 2006 06:12:54 -0800, wrote:

    >Thanks for your response. I tried all the various solutions from the
    >LSP/Winsock page (all five) and run through much of the advice on your
    >troubleshooting Network Neighborhood page, with no success. What I find
    >particularly peculiar is that the loss of browsing ability occurred
    >midway through a Windows session, rather than after a restart.
    >
    >ipconfig shows "media disconected". Might it be worth posting the
    >entire response of "ipconfig /all"?

    Paul,

    Anything is possible, if only in your dreams. No, that's what she said, and I
    apologise for getting off topic here. ;)

    Let's look at "ipconfig /all" from the problem computer. For the most
    possibility though, the same also from any other non problem computer would be
    more helpful. Looking for clues to a problem like yours could be a challenge.

    What virus and spyware checkers did you do? Did you do a heuristic scan with
    HijackThis or HijackFree? Any expert forum posts that you can link to?
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/03/malware-detection-and-removal-version.html>

    Chuck, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Socrates Guest

    see http://www.amw1.com/faq/ICS/faqs.htm