Wireless connection restarts

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Madcat, Jan 31, 2008.

  1. Madcat

    Madcat Guest

    I have got a Speedport W 501v which is cable connected to one pc and
    wirelessly connected to another 2 pc`s. I have searched and googled
    for answers but havent found a thing, I have updated drivers and
    hardware but for some reason the wireless USB cards keep resetting
    themselves ( mine in particular I tried playing an online game and it
    reset 5 times in 30 seconds), BUT only when I am using a program that
    requires a lot of bandwidth ( e.g. online games, p2p downloading,
    torrents, etc) . As I have said I have tried LOTS of different fixes
    but nothing seems to work.

    In short HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!

    All pc`s have XP Pro with SP2 and have full mcafee security packages
    ( Av and firewall), and both have static IP`s.

    If anyone can PLEASE come up with a simple fix ( i am quite computer
    literate but i dont know much about newtorks) I would be ETERNALLY
    gratefull,

    Thanks in advance Mark

    Madcat, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Hi
    The common p2p application is based on opening huge amount of ports and that
    usually brinks the "Puny" Computer (that is the Router) to its knees.
    Under such a heavy load some Entry Level Wireless Routers do a little better
    than others. However in general, heavy p2p cannot be obtained reliably with
    Entry Level Network devices.
    People who need p2p for real work use commercial level Routers.
    If someone states that his Entry level Router does better than another, in
    most cases it means that he/she are engaged in a lighter p2p activity.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 31, 2008