Wireless connection questions

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Melissa, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    Hi,

    I purchased a notebook PC, ACER Travelmate 2310, last year.
    The notebook had a Wireless connection integrated.
    I had read some bit and pieces about Wireless Networking, and as it seemed
    only to be able to connect to a Wireless Spot inside the house, I never used
    the Wireless Connection.

    A few months ago, I decided to upgrade the memory (256Mb to 1 Gb) and the
    hard-disk (20 Mb to 80 MB).
    I braught the notebook to the ACER service shop to perform the upgrade, and
    1 day later it was ready.
    I started to reinstall all the software, and on the reinstall of WinAmp, the
    software wanted to go online to see in there would be upgrades available.
    I was astonished, as the notebook was able to go online and look after
    upgrades without the ADSL- modem connected.

    I'm not a "computer guru", and I tried to find out why the notebook was able
    to connect to the Internet.
    But the only thing I was able to find out was that a connection was made
    with "SMC (automatic)" and a IP address (I live in Thailand)

    I have a few questions about the Wireless Networking, and hope that someone
    in this forum can help me.

    1. What is "SMC (Automatic)"?
    2. I have no Wireless Networking spot in my house, and the nearest house
    with a computer is about 250m away as far as I know. How far can the
    Wireless Connection detect a "Wireless Connection spot"?
    3. I'm not using this Wireless Connection at this moment (privacy reasons),
    but if I would decide to give up my ADSL subscription and use the (free)
    Wireless Connection instead, what are the implications?
    I assume that using a Lan Connection without registrering would be like
    using a "Proxy" without the knowledge of the owner. Are there any
    "etiquettes" defined about using a Wireless Connection?

    TIA

    Melissa
    Melissa, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Melissa

    ck42

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    Sounds like Windows WZC found an Open AP using an SSID of "SMC" and 'automatically' used it. Not a good thing...depending on how you look at it.

    You could have just as easily been 'phished' onto a malicious AP and ended up in a bad situation. Go into the network connections, look at the wireless settings for your wireless card and remove any listed SSIDs from your preferred network list...if you don't want this happening again.

    Or....you can change the properties of that wireless network "SMC" so that it will not automatically connect....but will only connect when you tell it to.
    ck42, Jul 21, 2006

  3. You are probably connecting to someone else's network. "SMC" is the name of
    the network and "automatic" means that it will automatically connect to it.
    Who ever set up the "SMC" network might be using an anntena booster and the
    range of that depends on the strength of the anntena.
    If you decide to use that free wireless connection then it is possible that
    someone can see the information that you send and receive. Also, it might be
    illegal to use someone else's internet connection without permission so be
    careful about that, too.

    -Javi
    --
    Microsoft is not the answer.
    Microsoft is the question.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmF2aTAwODQ=?=, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Javi0084" <> wrote in message

    Thanks for your help, Javi.

    > You are probably connecting to someone else's network. "SMC" is the name
    > of the network and "automatic" means that it will automatically connect to
    > it.
    > Who ever set up the "SMC" network might be using an anntena booster and
    > the range of that depends on the strength of the anntena.
    > If you decide to use that free wireless connection then it is possible
    > that someone can see the information that you send and receive. Also, it
    > might
    > be illegal to use someone else's internet connection without permission so
    > be
    > careful about that, too.

    Excuse me, but I find this weird.
    Suppose that I have my "wireless connection" online and I go out.
    Someone in the neigborhood is able to connect to my computer, which is
    connected to SMC.
    This person uses the connection for illegal purposes (eg.: viewing
    pornographic stuff) and the next day I get arrested for something I didn't
    do.
    I think that I will turn the "Wireless Connection" of and not use it at
    home.

    > -Javi
    > --
    > Microsoft is not the answer.
    > Microsoft is the question.
    > NO (or Linux) is the answer.

    I think of installing Linux on my desktop computer.
    Which version of Linux do you recommend?

    Regards,

    Melissa
    Melissa, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Melissa

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If you secure your connection No one would use it, your nieghbor connection
    is probably Not secured.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 22, 2006
  6. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi

    Hi Jack,

    > If you secure your connection No one would use it, your nieghbor
    > connection is probably Not secured.

    As I said before, this is all new to me.
    The "SMC" connection is indeed "unsecured", as the following details give
    out:

    Connected to SMC(unsecured)
    Physical Address: 00-14-A4-26-C7-CC
    IP Address: 192.168.2.101