Wireless Connection Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scott, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I currently have a XP desktop pc wired to my router with linksys
    LNE100TX PCI card. The router is then wired to my cable modem.

    In Network on the desktop pc I have 3 connections listed.
    1394, Linksys LNE100TX version 2.0 fast ethernet(ISP INSTALLED) PCI
    card

    and
    Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (Came installed with
    pc).

    I assumed that when ISP hooked up connection they would use the card
    that was in there. Anyway, I'm a newbie to all of this. I just got a
    laptop which has integrated Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter.
    I connect wirelessly fine.

    The question I have is on the laptop running Vista under Network
    connection I have the Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter listed
    as wireless connection along with Realtek NIC listed as Local Area
    Connection (Network cable unplugged)

    The thing is my router is hooked to the linksys PCI Card. Why is my
    laptop recognizing the Realtek and not linksys? I unplugged it from
    linksys and plugged into Realtek laptop still says unplugged. Under
    devices laptop says Wireless connected LAN disconnected. Should LAN
    also show connected.

    Help me understand this issue. I'm not sure if I should be able to
    connect to both or not. No matter what I did laptop still says Realtek
    NIC was unplugged even though it was plugged in. I could get online
    with my desktop while the router was plugged into the Realtek NIC, but
    when I tried to get online with my laptop my wireless laptop
    connection stated Connected LOCAL ONLY Limited access. I'm confused
    and would like to be able to fix this.

    Whats going on? Should my laptop be recognizing the LINKSYS PCI Card
    that my router is actually plugged into, and if so why is it not? Why
    is it even showing me the REALTEK as a connection network cable
    unplugged. What causes the laptop to know that my desktop pc has a
    Realtek NIC that isn't even plugged in. Is it a wireless NIC as well?
    I'm new, to wireless and know nothing about it. On the latop what
    would I be able to do with that LAN Connection if the cable wasn't
    listed as unplugged?

    I'd love to understand this better, and would greatly appreciate it if
    someone would take the time to tell me and PLEASE help me fix it. If
    it is something that needs to be fixed. I connected everything myself.
    I must have done something right I have connection on laptop and
    desktop through router. If something is wrong please tell me and help
    me fix it.

    Desktop running XP Home SP2

    Laptop running Vista Home basic

    Linksys Wireless-G Router (WRT54G)

    Scott, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Scott

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have a XP desktop pc wired to my router with linksys
    > LNE100TX PCI card. The router is then wired to my cable modem.

    Please reduce your problem to two sentences and re-post it. Some of us don't
    have time to read your book.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Scott

    PeeCee Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have a XP desktop pc wired to my router with linksys
    > LNE100TX PCI card. The router is then wired to my cable modem.
    >
    > In Network on the desktop pc I have 3 connections listed.
    > 1394, Linksys LNE100TX version 2.0 fast ethernet(ISP INSTALLED) PCI
    > card
    >
    > and
    > Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (Came installed with
    > pc).
    >
    > I assumed that when ISP hooked up connection they would use the card
    > that was in there. Anyway, I'm a newbie to all of this. I just got a
    > laptop which has integrated Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter.
    > I connect wirelessly fine.
    >
    > The question I have is on the laptop running Vista under Network
    > connection I have the Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter listed
    > as wireless connection along with Realtek NIC listed as Local Area
    > Connection (Network cable unplugged)
    >
    > The thing is my router is hooked to the linksys PCI Card. Why is my
    > laptop recognizing the Realtek and not linksys? I unplugged it from
    > linksys and plugged into Realtek laptop still says unplugged. Under
    > devices laptop says Wireless connected LAN disconnected. Should LAN
    > also show connected.
    >
    > Help me understand this issue. I'm not sure if I should be able to
    > connect to both or not. No matter what I did laptop still says Realtek
    > NIC was unplugged even though it was plugged in. I could get online
    > with my desktop while the router was plugged into the Realtek NIC, but
    > when I tried to get online with my laptop my wireless laptop
    > connection stated Connected LOCAL ONLY Limited access. I'm confused
    > and would like to be able to fix this.
    >
    > Whats going on? Should my laptop be recognizing the LINKSYS PCI Card
    > that my router is actually plugged into, and if so why is it not? Why
    > is it even showing me the REALTEK as a connection network cable
    > unplugged. What causes the laptop to know that my desktop pc has a
    > Realtek NIC that isn't even plugged in. Is it a wireless NIC as well?
    > I'm new, to wireless and know nothing about it. On the latop what
    > would I be able to do with that LAN Connection if the cable wasn't
    > listed as unplugged?
    >
    > I'd love to understand this better, and would greatly appreciate it if
    > someone would take the time to tell me and PLEASE help me fix it. If
    > it is something that needs to be fixed. I connected everything myself.
    > I must have done something right I have connection on laptop and
    > desktop through router. If something is wrong please tell me and help
    > me fix it.
    >
    > Desktop running XP Home SP2
    >
    > Laptop running Vista Home basic
    >
    > Linksys Wireless-G Router (WRT54G)

    Scott
    Your Laptop has both a wired (Realtek) and wirless LAN connection.
    Your Desktop has two wired (Linksys and Realtek) LAN connections.
    The Desktop 1394 connection is for Video cameras but because it can be used
    as a LAN connection but can be ignored for this excersise.

    If you go to this page and look at the first diagram:
    http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?i...images?q=lan+diagram&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=X
    I suspect this is how you were trying to connect things up.
    For this to work the PC connected to the router would need to have 'ICS'
    enabled (Internet Connection Sharing)
    Though ICS does work it is a real pain in the a... to set up and keep going.

    The second diagram shows how to connect using a 'Switch' . (cheap $NZ32)
    One port of the Switch goes to the router, the other PC's plug into any of
    the other ports on the Switch and through the magic of the Switch and 'NAT'
    in the Router (network address translation) all the PC's plugged into the
    Switch can have access to both the Internet and the other PC's connected to
    the Switch.

    This is the way you should connect your Laptop if you want the best
    reliabiltiy and speed.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thank you so much. Makes more sense now. I knew that the laptop had an
    ethernet card, but didn't think it would be the exact same model as my
    desktop. Thats why I thought it was picking up the card in my desktop.
    I feel like an idiot.....At least you answered, unlike that first
    reply. Maybe he needs to read more books

    Scott, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Scott wrote:
    > Thank you so much. Makes more sense now. I knew that the laptop had an
    > ethernet card, but didn't think it would be the exact same model as my
    > desktop. Thats why I thought it was picking up the card in my desktop.
    > I feel like an idiot.....At least you answered, unlike that first
    > reply. Maybe he needs to read more books

    I'm glad you got your answer. But I started reading your first post and
    quit after a paragraph or two because you still hadn't got to the point.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 17, 2007