    can't see it!!

    thanks in advance for any responses
    , Mar 3, 2007

  2. Mellowed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an existing laptop connected to a wireless router, I am now
    > trying to connect a second laptop to the router.
    >
    > The laptop is a new sony vaio and has never been connected to the
    > internet. I can connect to the router but can not connect to the
    > internet through internet explorer.
    >
    > Is there a setting I'm missing - I know its something simple but just
    > can't see it!!
    >
    > thanks in advance for any responses

    Well, for something simple - -

    When clicking on the wireless icon, have you highlighted the visible signals
    and clicked on 'connect'?
    Mellowed, Mar 3, 2007

  3. Guest

    I have connected to the wireless connection to my router via the view
    available connection window. The connection is ok and has a good
    signal strength etc. I can see the router settings in IE when I type
    in the router address of 192.168.2.1 but can not connect to any other
    internet page.
    , Mar 3, 2007
  4. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have connected to the wireless connection to my router via the view
    > available connection window. The connection is ok and has a good
    > signal strength etc. I can see the router settings in IE when I type
    > in the router address of 192.168.2.1 but can not connect to any other
    > internet page.

    What does IE think it's supposed to use for a connection? IE, Tools,
    Options, Connections tab.
    WhzzKdd, Mar 3, 2007
  5. wrote:

    > I have connected to the wireless connection to my router via the view
    > available connection window. The connection is ok and has a good
    > signal strength etc. I can see the router settings in IE when I type
    > in the router address of 192.168.2.1 but can not connect to any other
    > internet page.

    Do you have dhcp setup on the laptop, to obtain a "lease" from the router,
    which includes not only the ip address, but the nameserver (dns) addresses
    as well?
    When you are connected to the router,
    open a "cmd" and type "ipconfig /all". Come back with the output, you may
    cut&paste it to a textfile, to a usb stick ...

    Walter Mautner, Mar 4, 2007