    another problem that i have is that i cant secure my connection ... i cant even change the name of my Access Point ... it reads "default" and i cant set a password ... so ... basicaly everyone can connect to my access point if they want ... any setting that i make comes back to default ... after i click appy ... no idea why
    please help me ... and if you need anymore details i can even provide screenshots and whatever you need ... please help ...
    Last edited: May 17, 2006
    mevip, May 17, 2006

  2. mevip

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mevip:

    You appear to have several problems, but maybe we can help. First of all, make sure your login account for Windows XP has administrator rights. Check yourself in the User Profile section of the Control Panel. If you aren't an administrator, you might be prevented from making system-level changes.

    You should download the manuals for your equipment, and also search for drivers - especially with the wireless devices. I've had several wireless problems in the past, only to find that a driver update fixed them. I bet your timeout problem is a driver issue. If not, you might be able to have one of your programs automatically query some site on the Internet - just to keep your connection active.

    Configuring WEP security is fairly straight forward, if you are running the latest software / drivers for your access point. You generally log into your wireless access point with a local IP address using the admin account for the access point. Check your manual for the name and password. If you change it (and you should), write down the new password. Make the WEP encryption changes, do the update button, and it should take.

    Good luck, and let us know if you have any success.
    bigal, May 22, 2006